|November 09, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
RUNGE - 11
BAILEY - 10
SIEG - 2
MICHAEL - 2
CHARLESTON, Ill. --- Tennessee State volleyball traveled to Eastern Illinois for a match on Saturday, Nov. 9 at 2 p.m. in Lantz Arena. The match went four sets and the Tigers won 3-1 (25-15, 25-20, 16-25, 25-11).
TSU was strong overall this match with a hitting percentage of .345, 53 digs and 8 blocks. Aniya Williams recorded 13 kills for a .611 hitting percent, four blocks and two aces. Gina Rivera-Ortiz surpassed a huge milestone of 1,000 career digs by recording 14 digs. Big Blue came out with claws in the first two sets, gaining early leads. EIU fought back and during the third set it took the lead and did not give it up. But, Tennessee State came back even tougher in the fourth and squashed the competition's attempts to win the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers had three players hitting over a .250: Aniya Williams, Julia Pierson and Kariely Santana-Delgado.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz helped the defense with 14 digs.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios set up TSU hitters 35 times.
- The first three points of the set were awarded to TSU due to EIU errors.
- Santana-Delgado took the Tigers to a three-point lead with her first kill of the match.
- EIU closed the gap with a kill from Maggie Runge.
- But, kills from Jasmine Fuqua and Aria Holmes took Big Blue back up the board.
- A kill from Eastern Illinois’s Laurel Bailey made TSU work harder to stay on top.
- Rivera-Ortiz recorded an ace and Pierson notched a kill to pull Tennessee State ahead.
- Kills from Khalia Jordan and Williams gave the Tigers a seven-point lead.
- The Tigers won the set with Williams third kill of the match, 25-16.
- Williams continued to be an offensive asset for TSU and earned a lead over EIU.
- Aria Holmes heightened the lead with a shot into the Panthers defense.
- Two Eastern Illinois errors put the Tigers five-points ahead.
- Kills from Holmes and Pierson kept Big Blue hyped.
- Runge with another kill for EIU gave the Panthers a chance to gain points.
- But, Santana-Delgado shut that down with two kills to win the set, 25-20.
- Santana-Delgado notched a kill but EIU came back with back to back kills and took the lead for the first time this match.
- The Panthers advanced to a five-point lead with a kill from Danielle Allen.
- EIU sailed past the Tigers gaining a 10-point lead.
- Williams tried to keep the Tigers in the set with a kill.
- But the Panthers sent this match to a fourth set with a win, 25-16.
- Pierson and Fuqua started TSU off strong with two kills.
- Three errors on Eastern Illinois gave the Tigers a five-point lead.
- Kristian Marshall advanced that lead with an ace.
- Pierson and Williams both recorded their 11th kill of the match advancing the Tigers even further.
- Kendall Bullock notched a kill to win the set, 25-11.
- The Tigers advance to a 13-15 overall record; OVC record of 6-9.
- Against the Panthers the record is 12-25.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz recorded four digs in the first set to push her over the 1,000 career digs milestone.
Tennessee State volleyball will travel next weekend to Tennessee Tech in Cookeville, Tenn. on Nov. 15.