|November 02, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
- 24||Assists||GARCIA GUERRIOS
Kennedy Wilson - 1
Sydney Schoen - 1
RIVERA ORTIZ - 1
- 21||Digs||RIVERA ORTIZ
Adria Hartley - 2
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- Tennessee State volleyball won it's last home match in Kean Hall for the season 3-0. The Tigers beat the Colonels 25-19, 26-24, 25-22 in a nail-bitting match on Saturday, Nov.2 at 5 p.m. This win advanced Big Blue's overall record to 10-15.
Senior Julia Pierson recorded her fifth double-double for the season with 14 digs and 13 kills. Even though EKU fought hard this evening, TSU came back even stronger. With a strong defense Tennessee State put up nine blocks and 71 digs.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Defensively the Tigers had five players put up double digit digs: Sofia Garcia-Guerrios, Jasmine Fuqua, Pierson and Gina Rivera-Ortiz.
- Pierson recorded her fifth double-double of the season with 13 kills and 14 digs.
- Garcia-Guerrios doled out 37 assists to the Tiger's offense.
- Kills from Khalia Jordan, Aniya Williams and Garcia-Guerrios gave the Tigers the lead.
- But EKU took the lead with kills from Abby Noll.
- Pierson with a shot into the Colonels defense and an attack error on EKU put TSU ahead.
- Noll tied it back up with her second kill.
- The teams battled it out on the court with points for both teams.
- Tennessee State pulled ahead with kills from Pierson, Jordan and Williams.
- A blocking error on Williams tied the set up for Eastern Kentucky.
- After a TSU timeout, the Tigers came back for a four-point run.
- Pierson won the set, 25-19, with her sixth kill.
- Points went back and forth but TSU pulled ahead with a kill from Williams and two EKU errors.
- Fuqua and Aria Holmes found holes in the Colonels defense and gave the Tigers a seven-point lead.
- Block assist from Holmes and Garcia-Guerrios kept Big Blue’s run going.
- But a kill from Adria Hartley stopped the Tigers.
- The Colonels fought back hard but Pierson squashed its attempts with another kill.
- EKU tied it up at 24 all and Pierson sealed the set again for TSU, 26-24.
- Eastern Kentucky took the lead first but TSU was quick to get into the action with a kill from Pierson.
- Rivera-Ortiz pulled Tennessee State ahead with an ace.
- Kills from Pierson and Jordan kept Big Blue up on the scoreboard.
- A block assist for Williams and Fuqua kept the Colonels down.
- Kills for Noll and Mikayla Logan closed the three-point gap and tied it.
- Fuqua scored the set point and a EKU attack error won the set for TSU, 25-22.
- The Tiger's advanced it's recorded to 10-15.
- TSU's record in the Ohio Valley Conference is now 3-9.
- Against the Colonels the overall record is 15-54.
The Tigers travel to the Curb Event Center to compete against the Belmont Bruins at 6 p.m.