|November 01, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
- 58||Assists||GARCIA GUERRIOS
BESSLER - 1
MONTELISCIANI - 1
MCCARSON - 1
HODGES - 1
- 19||Digs||RIVERA ORTIZ
SWEARINGEN - 4
NASHVILLE, Tenn --- Tennessee State volleyball really fought hard tonight on that court in Kean Hall. Big Blue competed against Morehead State Friday, Nov. 1 and the Tigers lost 3-1 (25-20, 22-25, 25-22, 25-19) but not easily. TSU stayed in close range on the scoreboard and every time MSU pulled ahead, Tennessee State fought back and stayed with the competition.
Aniya Williams was a challenge for the Eagles defenese, putting away 14 kills during the match. Defensively, TSU had multiple players will double-digit digs. But, Morehead State's Olivia Lohmeier found the holes and recorded 20 kills.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Aniya Williams led the Tigers with 14 kills.
- Aria Holmes recorded two solo blocks and four assists.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios doled out 34 assists.
- Big Blue started off strong with kills from Julia Pierson and Aria Holmes.
- But the Eagles came back and took the lead with a six-point run.
- MSU received an attack error but quickly made up for it with a kill from Liz Allen.
- Aniya Williams with two kills brought the Tigers back into the set.
- Solo block from Aria Holmes closed the gap on the scoreboard.
- Tennessee State found holes in the Eagles defense, raising the team’s momentum.
- TSU fought for its place on the board with another block.
- Powerhouse Williams shot into Morehead State’s defense with her third kill.
- At set point, Mia Swearingen recorded her fourth kill and won the set, 25-20.
- After a good volley of points, the Tigers took the lead with four attack errors on MSU.
- Williams took Big Blue to a four-point lead over the Eagles.
- Morehead State got back into the set with a kill from Lauren Rokey.
- Tennessee State proved to be a challenge for the Eagles.
- But, after a three-point run Morehead State was one point behind.
- MSU took the lead with a kill from Bridget Bessler.
- Block assist for Pierson and Williams took the Tigers to a two-point lead.
- Williams earned set point for TSU, and a solo block for Kendall Bullock won the set, 25-22.
- Morehead finally took the lead after a tied game with a service ace.
- The Tigers fought back with kills from Jasmine Fuqua and Pierson.
- But, MSU kept drilling into Big Blue’s defense keeping its lead.
- A kill from Fuqua and Williams shrunk the point difference.
- Two attack errors on Olivia Lohmeier gave Tennessee State the lead.
- Bessler with her fifth kill tied the set for MSU.
- An attack error on Bullock put the Eagles ahead.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios and Williams with two more kills kept MSU on its toes.
- The set went to Morehead State with a kill from Hannah Keating, 25-22.
- MSU took an early four-point lead but a kill from Fuqua stopped the run.
- Williams continued being an offensive powerhouse and recorded her 13th
- Tennessee State fought hard to stay in the set slowly closing the gap.
- But, Rokey kept the Eagles ahead and she notched another kill for MSU.
- Pierson cratered one into Morehead State’s defense but Lohmeier fired back with her own.
- A Morehead State block assist won the match, 25-19.
- Yellow card to Morehead State's head coach Jaime Gordon in set four.
- Tennessee State's overall record is 9-15.
- Against Morehead State, the series is now 13-50.
Tomorrow night the Tigers host the Colonels of Eastern Kentucky University at 5 p.m. in Kean Hall.