|October 12, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
DORSEY - 9
DUNCAN - 1
OSTERBUR - 1
TOLEDO - 1
GISH - 1
MARSHALL - 1
- 13||Digs||RIVERA ORTIZ
SANTANA RODRIGUEZ - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- Tennessee State volleyball fell to the Golden Eagles 3-0 (25-22, 25-12, 25-22) on Oct. 12 in Kean Hall at 5 p.m.. Losing this match makes the Tigers overall record 9-10 and in conference play TSU is 2-4.
The Tigers fought hard in each set but just could not find it's groove until the third set. In the first two sets the Tigers tried to keep up with Tennessee Tech's offense but fell short. During the third set Khalia Jordan and Kendall Bullock both put up three kills. While Julia Pierson, Kariely Santana-Delgado and Alondrah Santana-Delgado added two to their records. But, Tennessee Tech recorded 47 kills in this match with a .277 hitting percentage.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Alondrah Santana-Delgado led the team with eight kills, followed by Kariely Santana-Delgado with seven.
- Teuila Lolotai assisted 15 times for the Tigers.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz helped out with defensively with 10 digs, Kristian Marshall and Julia Pierson both recorded nine digs.
- The Golden Eagles started off with kills for Ashley Hand, Rachel Thomas and Ali Verzani only to be hushed by Santana-Rodriguez with two kills.
- Two errors on TTU gave the Tigers a chance to tie the match but with a TSU attack error and a kill for Rachel Thomas, Tennessee Tech kept the lead.
- The Tigers tried to find holes in the Golden Eagle’s defense and succeed with a kill from Santana-Rodriguez.
- Even with TTU ahead, Tennessee State stayed motivated with kills from Jordan and Santana-Delgado.
- Tennessee Tech pulled ahead with a kill from Thomas but a kill from Jordan stopped its momentum.
- TTU had three attack errors and allowed a kill from Santana-Rodriguez and the Tigers tied the set.
- Tennessee Tech reached set point with a kill from Thomas and won the match with an ace, 25-22.
- Pierson started off the set with a shot into the side of TTU.
- Tennessee State held its lead with a kill from Jordan and an attack error on Tennessee Tech.
- The Golden Eagles tied it up with a kill.
- TTU took the lead with an ace and a kill for Hand.
- On a three-point lead, Tennessee Tech ruined its own run with a service error.
- But quickly picked it back up with a kill from Verzani.
- Santana-Rodriguez proved to be a huge offensive powerhouse for the Tigers with her sixth kill of the match.
- Taylor Dorsey with her fourth kill sent the Golden Eagles to a 10-point lead.
- Julia Wheeler with a Tennessee Tech kill won the set, 25-12.
- Tennessee Tech started out with the lead early but a kill from Jordan gave the Tigers motivation.
- A kill from Bullock closed the gap on the scoreboard and a TTU ball handling error tied the set.
- Pierson with her fifth kill took the lead for TSU.
- But a Tennessee State ball handling error and a TTU ace, the Golden Eagles took the lead again.
- Jordan kept the score close for the Tigers with another kill for her record.
- Three attack errors on Tennessee Tech tied the set, but two kills for the Golden Eagles left TSU behind.
- Holmes with a kill tried to keep Tennessee State in the set but a kill from Hand squashed that attempt.
- Verzani received match point for TTU with a shot into the Tiger’s defense.
- Tennessee Tech took the match with a kill, 25-22.
- Tennessee State is now 9-10 overall and 2-4 in the Ohio Valley Conference.
- Against Tennessee Tech, the Tigers are 17-40.
The Tigers will travel to Clarksville, Tenn. to compete against Austin Peay on Friday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m.