|October 05, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
FUQUA - 12
- 24||Digs||RIVERA ORTIZ
FIELDS - 3
Nashville, Tenn. --- Tennessee State volleyball lost to SIU-Edwardsville 3-2 (22-25, 25-18, 20-25, 25-22, 15-12). TSU's overall record is now 9-8 and in the Ohio Valley Conference the Tigers sit at 2-2.
During the first set Khalia Jordan proved to an offensive powerhouse with four kills. Aniya Williams and Kendall Bullock followed closely behind with three a piece. Bullock notched another three kills in the second set and Jasmine Fuqua recorded four for the Tigers. SIUE's defense seemed to be struggling in the first but it's offense in the second was strong, putting up a lead over the Tigers early. Big Blue struggled to find it's grove in the third set but after a six-point run TSU rallied and won the set.
With a crowd loud and both teams motivated to finish the match, the fifth set went back and forth. SIUE pulled ahead with a kill from Christian and won the final set 15-12.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- 12 kills for Khalia Jordan and Jasmine Fuqua gave the Tigers a powerful offense.
- Teulia Lolotai assisted 25 times for Tennessee State.
- Aniya Williams recorded 14 points for Big Blue.
- Defensively Gina Rivera-Ortiz led the team with 21 digs, Fuqua and Lolotai followed behind with 13 digs a piece.
- SIUE started out first on the board but two kills for Jordan gave TSU the lead.
- The Cougars fought back with two kills tying up the match but Tennessee State came back with an ace for Kristian Marshall.
- Williams with a shot into the Cougars defense gave TSU a five-point lead.
- Jordan proved to be an offense powerhouse with three kills in the first 15 points of the match.
- SIUE tried to make it's way back into the match with kills from Dylynn Otte.
- Kendall Bullock challenged the Cougars defense with a shot into it's defense which resulted in a kill.
- The Cougars slowly eased it's way back into the set but a service error on SIUE kept TSU dominating.
- TSU took the set with a kill from Williams, 25-22.
- The Cougars were strong in it's offense putting up a lead over the Tigers early.
- But a kill and block assist for Aria Holmes gave Big Blue the momentum to get back into the set.
- SIUE was not letting up it's lead with two kills into TSU, challenging the Tiger's defense.
- An attack error on SIU-E started a run for Tennessee State which put four points on the board.
- A TSU service error ended the run and a kill from Savanna Christian kept SIUE in the lead.
- The Cougars took the set with a kill from Otte, 18-25.
- SIUE took the lead early but a kill from Jordan took the set back and Fuqua's sixth kill kept the Tigers ahead.
- Another kill for McDonald gave the Cougars the lead back but a kill from Williams silenced it's efforts.
- Jordan with her seventh kill of the match kept the Tigers motivated.
- The Cougars stayed fighting back, keeping the match even on the board.
- The rally went on for half the set until SIUE pulled ahead with kiills for Christian and an attack error on TSU.
- An error on the Cougars gave the Tigers an in to tie the set up with a kill from Kariely Santana-Delgado.
- Williams with her sixth kill of the match and an attack error on SIUE gave the Tigers the lead.
- On a six-point run the Tigers get the set 25-20 off a service error on SIUE.
- Jordan with two kills, Williams notched her seventh kill and an SIUE error gave the Tigers a strong lead.
- The Tigers drilled kills into the Cougars defense, not giving it a chance to fight back.
- SIUE weasled it's way back onto the board with errors on Big Blue.
- Santana-Delgado with a shot into the Cougars side kept the lead for Tennessee State.
- An attack error on Williams and a SIUE block assist tied up the set.
- A five-point run for the Cougars was ended by Jordan with a kill for the Tigers.
- SIUE took the lead but TSU was not giving up, kills from Bullock and Santana-Delgado tied the set up.
- An attack error on Tennessee State gave the set to SIUE, 22-25.
- The Cougars started off with an early lead but TSU quickly caught up.
- SIUE took the lead back but a block from Williams and Bullock and a kill for Bullock tied the set up.
- Another kill for Bullock and a SIUE attack error gave the Tigers it's first lead of the set.
- The Cougars pressured TSU and tied it up with with a kill from Hope Everett but Williams sqaushed it's advancement with a kill for TSU.
- SIU-E passed up the Tigers on the board with a kill from Christian.
- An attack error on TSU gave the final set to the Cougars, 12-15.
- Tennessee State's overall record is now 9-8 and OVC record is 2-2.
- Against SIUE, TSU now sits at a tied record of 5-5.
Tennessee State will host again next weekend as the Tigers compete agaisnt Jacksonville State and Tennessee Tech. The Jacksonville State match is Friday, Oct. 11 at 6 p.m. and the Tennessee Tech match will be held Saturday, Oct. 12 at 5 p.m. Both matches will be hosted in Kean Hall.