|September 13, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
PIERSON - 2
Omoghibo - 3
|September 13, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
NEW ORLEANS, La. --- The Tigers competed against New Orleans and Southern today, Sept. 13. TSU won against New Orleans 3-1 (25-11, 25-19, 18-25, 25-13). Tennessee State also beat Southern 3-0 (25-19, 26-24, 25-21).
Tennessee State 3, University of New Orleans 1 | Box Score
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Julia Pierson (14) and Aria Holmes (13) led the Tigers with kills.
- Pierson had her second season double-double with 14 kills and 18 digs.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios assisted 26 times in the New Orleans match, she also had four kills.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz had 24 digs.
- A six-point lead for TSU put the Tigers ahead of the competion.
- The Privateers tried to come back into the set but a kill from Pierson squashed that attempt.
- Khalia Jordan and Pierson with two more kills pulled Blg Blue to a eight-point lead.
- Kariely Santana-Delgado added to the strong offense with her first kill of the match.
- Aniya Williams with her first kill of the set gave TSU a 12-point lead over UNO.
- Two kills from Santana-Delgado and a setting error on New Orleans won the first set for TSU, 25-11.
- The Privateers came out ready for the second set, but a kill from Bullock and a service error on UNO pulled the Tigers ahead.
- An Ace for Jordan and a kill for Pierson continued TSU's run.
- Pierson with two kills in a row, dominated the net.
- The Tiger's offense found it's way into the Privateers defense, Jordan came with another kill which gave TSU an 11-point lead.
- New Orleans found it's strength with a four-point run, only to be stopped by a kill from Pierson.
- A service error on UNO gave set two to TSU, 25-19.
- Pierson with a kill, a block assist from Bullock and Aniya Williams and an attack error on New Orleans gave Tennessee State the lead.
- An attack error on Jordan put UNO in the lead.
- A service error on the Privateer's tied the game, but UNO took back the set.
- Pierson and Holmes with kills tried to keep TSU in the set.
- An ace for Pierson tied up the set but a kill from Brianna Vega took back the lead for UNO.
- An error on TSU and a kill from UNO kept the Privateers ahead.
- Vega with her 11th kill of the match won the set for New Orleans, 25-18.
- Holmes with her seventh kill of the match pulled the Tigers ahead.
- Three kills from Holmes and another for Pierson put TSU up by five.
- Williams kept the Tiger's lead strong with a kill but UNO fired back with it's own.
- Pierson and Holmes added to the five-point lead with two more kills.
- With her second ace of the match Jordan brought the Tigers to an eight-point lead.
- A block assist from Williams and Pierson won the final set, 25-13.
- TSU advanced it's record to 4-5 with this win.
- Big Blue's record against New Orleans is now 2-4.
Tennessee State 3, Southern 0 | Box Score
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Jordan led the team with 10 digs and two aces.
- Pierson and Bullock tied with nine kills apiece.
- Teuila Lolotai led the team with 20 assists.
- Rivera-Ortiz led the match with 15 digs.
- Holmes led the match with six total blocks (three solo, three assists).
- A good volley between the teams started off the set, but SOU pulled ahead on a four-point run.
- Jordan kept the Tiger's in the set with a kill.
- Southern's strong defense kept TSU behind.
- Pierson with her second kill got Tennessee State one-point closer to Southern, an attack error on the Jaguars tied the set.
- Santana-Delgado with a kill pulled TSU ahead for the first time.
- Bullock gave the Tigers a three-point lead with her second kill.
- Two kills in a row and two attack errors on SOU gave the Tigers the first set, 25-19
- Kills from Pierson and Jordan, a block assist from Holmes and Jordan put the Tigers ahead by three.
- Jordan with her sixth kill of the match kept TSU in the lead.
- The Jaguars tried to stay in the set with a kill from Jada Carter, but with a kill from Holmes Tennessee State stayed ahead.
- With her third kill of the match, Williams and the Tiger offense worked hard to dominate the board.
- Williams with another kill gave TSU match point.
- With a kill for Bullock, the Tigers won the set 26-24.
- Williams, Pierson and Bullock all with kills gave the Tigers a huge point advantage.
- Jordan with a kill and two errors on SOU gave TSU a six-point lead.
- The Jaguars are let back into the set with three errors off of Tennessee State, but a kill from Santana-Delgado silenced the Jaguar's advance.
- Kills from Pierson and Bullock kept TSU ahead despite SOU's attempts against the Tiger's defense.
- Jordan with her tenth kill of the match won the final set for the Tigers, 25-21.
- Winning this match made TSU's record 5-5.
- Tennessee State's record against Southern is now 3-2.
Head coach Donika Sutton on today's matches - "Today we played Tiger volleyball through and through! The girls were focused, disciplined and ready to execute. We saw offensive contributions from everyone which helped spread the our opponents defense. We are still working to be better than the day before, but I think we are show a whole lot of promise moving forward."
The Tigers will compete against the Mercer Bears tomorrow, Sept. 14 at noon.