|September 09, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
TUSCALOOSA, ALA. --- The Tennessee State Tigers kicked off day two of the Hampton Inn Bama Bash with a 2 p.m. match against the Hofstra Pride. The Tigers entered the day after going 0-2 in day one agasint Alabama and Furman. Hofstra handed the Tigers its third consecutive loss, winning 3-0 (25-16, 25-21, 25-16).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior outside hitter Alexis Johnson led the team in kills (8).
- Samantha Beltran recorded her fourth double-double with 19 assists and 10 digs.
- Curstyn Wilson had two-of-the-four team service aces, and recorded 11 digs.
SET BY SET
First Set: With a slow start, the Tigers allow four points before Katora Roberts records a kill to put the Tigers on the board. Sam Beltran and Cherlie Adorno DeJesus combined for 9 digs. TSU had issues putting the ball down committing five errors and the Pride registered two blocks. Hofstra took set one 25-16.
Second Set: Tennessee State came back from a 20-13 deficit with kills by seniors Alexis Johnson (2) and Samantha Beltran (1) and multiple errors by the Pride. In a hard-fought second half of the set, the Tigers fell 25-21.
Third Set: In the final set, TSU Cherlie Adorno DeJesus and Curstyn Wilson helped fend off the .263 hitting percentage of the Pride by recording a combined 26 digs. Despite the teams work to block Hofstra from scoring, the Pride took the final set, 25-16.
- Tigers fall to the Pride and are now 0-1 in the all-time series against Hofstra.
- TSU is now 4-6 in the 2017 season.
The Tigers will travel to Missouri for the Dr. Mary Jo Wynn Invitational to take on Washington State, Illinois and Missouri State Sept. 15-16.