|September 08, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
- 10||Kills||Leah Lawrence
- 18||Assists||Meghan Neelon
ADORNO-DEJESUS - 1
- 13||Digs||Quincey Gary
HENDERSON - 3
Mahalia Swink - 5
|September 08, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||Final|
- 18||Kills||Christen Sikora
- 49||Assists||Hunter Thompson
- 4||Aces||Nicole Mack
Abbey Crawford - 2
- 23||Digs||Meg DeMaar
PIERSON - 4
TUSCALOOSA, ALA. --- The Tennessee State volleyball team went 0-2 in day one of the Hampton Inn Bama Bash falling 3-0 to Alabama (25-14, 25-20, 26-24), and Furman 3-2 (25-23, 23-25, 25-17, 25-27, 15-6).
With a hard-fought match against the Paladins, two Tigers had double-doubles, two Tigers recorded their season-high kills, and the team served 10 aces.
MATCH 1 – ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Senior Katora Roberts led the team in kills (10) facilitated by setter Samantha Beltran who doled out 18 assists.
- Tiger defense was led by Rachel Henderson’s three blocks and Cherlie Adorno-DeJesus’ 13 digs.
- In set three, the Tigers recorded 22 digs over the Crimson Tide’s 18.
SET BY SET
First Set: In a sluggish set one, Rachel Henderson broke a six point run with a kill getting the Tigers back in tempo. Combatting a .276 Crimson Tide hitting percentage, Mine Cetinoz recorded her first dig as a Tiger. Unable to come back, the Tigers fell 25-14.
Second Set: Maya Evans recorded the first point of the set. Rachel Henderson put down three blocks, but struggling defensively the Tigers allowed 14 Alabama kills. Alabama takes set two 25-20.
Third Set: Julia Pierson put up the first point for the Tigers in set three. Getting around the Alabama blocks served the Tigers well as TSU recorded 9 kills, but in a back-and-forth set, the Crimson Tide took the lead, and won 25-20.
- Tigers are now 0-1 in the all-time series against Alabama.
MATCH 2 – FURMAN PALADINS
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Samantha Beltran recorded her third double-double of the season with 49 assists and 14 digs.
- Julia Pierson records her first double-double of the season with 14 kills and 10 digs.
- Rachel Henderson recorded a season high 18 kills.
- Katora Roberts surpassed her previous career-high kills with 14.
- On serve receive against the Paladins, the Tigers passed .934%.
- TSU served 10 aces.
SET BY SET
First Set: Tigers take the lead early, but relinquished that lead as the Paladins make a 5-0 run. For the remainder of the match TSU and Furman go back-and-forth until Furman takes the match 25-23.
Second Set: Furman goes 3-0 before the Tigers put a point on the board after a kill by Julia Pierson. In set two, Henderson recorded seven kills, followed by Pierson with 4. TSU takes set two 25-23.
Third Set: After a 3-0 lead, the Tigers trail for the rest of the set, Furman takes it 25-17.
Fourth Set: With four aces in the fourth set, the Tigers had the serving advantage. Plus three blocks and 4 kills by Pierson, the Tigers fought hard in the back-and-forth set. Tigers go into extra points to win, 27-25.
Fifth Set: Tigers trail the first half of the final set, before newcomer Sydney Swann records the first kill for TSU. Tennessee State puts up five more points, eventually falling to Furman 15-6.
- Tigers are now 0-1 in the all-time series against Furman.
- TSU fell in the fifth set for the first time this season.
- Tennessee State’s record is 4-5 after day one of the Bama Bash.
The Tigers continue play in the Hampton Inn Bama Bash Sept. 9 against the Hofstra Pride at 2 p.m.