Tigers Stun Lady Govs in 3-1 Win
Friday, November 7, 2008

Nashville --- The Tennessee State University volleyball team knocked off Austin Peay 3-1 (25-22, 25-19, 19-25, 25-16) Friday night in Kean Hall.

With the win, the Tigers move to 8-15 (6-9 OVC) while the Lady Govs fall to 18-10 (10-5 OVC).

Tennessee State tallied an attack percentage of .247 for the match and turned in 56 kills while Austin Peay notched a hitting percentage of .089 and recorded 45 kills. TSU out-blocked APSU with 16 blocks to 11 but the Lady Govs registered 74 digs to the Tigers' 70.

Christian Lowe led TSU with 14 kills while Shaquita Williams turned in a season second-best 12 kills for the Tigers. Candace Saleaumua registered a double-double with 11 kills and a match-high 20 digs. Terakka Walker recorded 15 digs and Yamari Padilla-Collazo tallied 14 digs in addition to 38 assists.

Trailing set one 9-13, TSU outscored APSU 8-4 to tie the game 17-17. The score stayed close down the stretch. Holding a slight 23-22 lead, two timely kills from Yamari Padilla-Collazo and Christian Lowe gave TSU the 25-22 win. TSU hit .256 in the set while APSU only managed a hitting percentage of .083.

Although TSU carried the momentum, both teams battled from the onset of set two. The score remained close until TSU stretched the advantage to 21-15 following an APSU attack error. TSU went on to win the set 25-19.

The Tigers jumped out to an early 9-3 lead in the third set but the Lady Govs battled back and eventually evened the score 18-18 behind a kill from Jessica Mollman. The Lady Govs then scored seven out of the next eight points to take the set 25-19. TSU recorded its lowest attack percentage of the match in set three (.049) while APSU notched its best attack percentage of the match (.184).

With the score knotted 10-10 in the fourth set, TSU used a 6-1 run to capture a 16-11 lead behind the serve of Terakka Walker. Austin Peay called a timeout to recover but Tennessee State would not relinquish the lead. TSU stretched the lead to 22-15 before an APSU attack error ended the match.

The Tigers return to action next Tuesday when they travel to Morehead. Match time is slated for 6 p.m. at Wetherby Gym.