GAME 9: Mississippi State 4, Tennessee State 0
RECORDS: TSU (2-7), MSU (8-1)
FIELD: Nuwz Field
LOCATION: Starkville, Miss.
WEATHER: Partly Sunny, 55
STARKVILLE, Miss. --- The Tennessee State softball team was held to two hits during the championship game of the Bulldog Kickoff Classic. The host team, Mississippi State claimed the title with a 4-0 decision over the Tigers, improving to 9-1; TSU dropped to 2-7.
MSU jumped out to an early lead with two runs in first off starter Abbey Woodall. The Bulldogs added two insurance runs in the sixth off reliever Raven Loveless.
Reese Weber registered the first of the game for the Big Blue with a double to center in the second inning. Sarah Snell collected the only other hit for TSU with an infield single in the fourth.
Woodall was tagged with the loss and dropped to 0-2. Loveless worked 5.1 innings, allowing two runs, one earned, off six hits and two walks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Two Tigers registered hits on the day.
- Reese Weber hit her second double of the year, while Sarah Snell notched a single.
- Savanah Wallace was the only other Tiger to reach safely with a walk in the fifth.
- Abbey Woodall started the game and went 0.1 innings, allowing two runs on a hit batter and a home run.
- Raven Lovelss picthed 5.1 innings of relief and surrendered two runs, one earned, off six hits and two walks.
- Lauren Powell tossed the final 0.1 innings and allowed a walk and fanned one.
- The Tigers left three runners on base.
MISSISSIPPI STATE 4, TENNESSEE STATE 0
- MSU scored two runs in the bottom of the first with a two-run home run off starter Abbey Woodall.
- Raven Loveless replaced Woodall after facing three batters in the first.
- Loveless would retire the final two batters of the first inning and stranded a runner in each of the next four innings.
- Reese Weber collected the first hit of the game for the Tigers with a double to center in the second inning.
- The Big Blue was not able to advance Weber.
- Sarah Snell opened the fourth with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch.
- Like Weber, Snell was stranded at second base.
- The Tigers last threat came in the fifth as Savanah Wallace walked to open the frame.
- Katie Schneider would replace Wallace at first on a fielder’s choice, but was not able to scratch the score board.
- The Bulldogs broke through again in the sixth with a pair of runs, one earned off Loveless.
- Lauren Powell replaced Loveless after MSU took the 4-0 lead.
- Powell faced two batters, walking the first before striking out the last batter.
- Woodall was tagged with the loss.
The Tigers return home to host the Tiger Classic beginning on Friday, Feb.21. TSU will welcome Bowling Green, Central Connecticut, Creighton and Rider for a 15 game tournament at Tiger Field.
- The Tigers wore their blue jerseys with blue pants and white socks.
- Temperature at the start of the game was 55 degrees.
- Reese Weber finished hitless during the first tournament of the season.
- Weber registered a hit in all five contests this week and posted a .333 average for the weekend.
- Lauren Farias, Ariel Johnson and Raven Loveless each registered 13 assists on the weekend.
- Loveless now has 18 on the season from the pitchers circle and is third on the team in assists.