GAME 5: North Alabama 9, Tennessee State 1 (5 Innings)
GAME 6: Tulsa 2, Tennessee State 0
RECORDS: TSU (1-5), UNA (5-0), Tulsa (5-0)
FIELD: Nuwz Field
LOCATION: Starkville, Miss.
WEATHER: Sunny, 38
STARKVILLE, Miss. --- The Tennessee State softball team was held in check on day one of the Bulldog Kickoff Classic. The Tigers fell to North Alabama 9-1 in five innings before being shutout, 2-0, by Tulsa.
TSU would put together seven hits in five innings of play in the opener, but was unable to push across more than one run as they left seven runners on base. Defensively, the Tigers were not able to take care of starter Abbey Woodall who surrendered five unearned runs in the second inning.
The freshman hurler recorded two outs in the top of the second, but the Big Blue committed two errors to allow UNA to continue the frame. The Lions took advantage and recorded three consecutive hits to plate four runs, chasing Woodall in the second and tagging her with the loss.
The Lions added four runs off reliever Raven Loveless to close out the game in five innings.
In game two, Lauren Powell dropped her third consecutive heartbreaking loss as she allowed two runs on four hits. The Tigers were held to three hits, but were able to place runners on base in each of the final five innings.
TSU fell to 1-5 on the season, while UNA and Tulsa improved to 5-0.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Seven Tigers registered hits on the day.
- Reese Weber, Bri Vire and Sarah Snell each recorded two hits.
- Vire and Ariel Johnson each registered a double in game one.
- Johnson scored the lone run of the day for the Tigers, as well as swiped the only base on the day.
- Snell drove in the only run on Friday.
- Abbey Woodall worked 1.2 innings during her second start of the season and was tagged with the loss to fall to 0-2.
- Woodall allowed five runs, all unearned, on three hits and one walk.
- Raven Lovelss picthed the final 3.1 innings during game one, allowing four runs on six hits and one walk, while fanning two.
- Lauren Powell fell to 0-3 despite surrendering just two runs on four hits and two walks.
- Powell struck out two batters during the contest and now has 18 on the season.
- The Tigers left seven runners on base in the opener and six in game two.
- TSU had runners on base in nine of the 12 innings played.
NORTH ALABAMA 9, TENNESSEE STATE 1 (5 INN)
- Abbey Woodall hit a batter and walked another in the top of the first inning, before setting the Lions down scoreless.
- Sarah Snell and Bri Vire delivered back-to-back one out singles, but were unable to score a run during the Tigers first at bat.
- TSU committed an error to start the second and followed with a second three batters later, which would have sent the game into the bottom of the frame scoreless.
- The Lions capitalized on the miscues and strung together three consecutive hits, plating four runs, chasing Woodall from the game.
- UNA welcomed reliever Raven Loveless with a hit which chased home the fifth run of the inning, all unearned and credited to Woodall.
- Ariel Johnson led off the third with a one-hop double to the fence in right center.
- Johnson moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Patton Akers and scored on a bunt single by Snell.
- The score remained 5-1 until UNA exploded for four runs on four hits and a walk in the top of the fifth inning off Loveless.
- The Tigers tried to extend the contest as Akers singled and Snell reached on an error to start the bottom of the fifth.
- The two Tigers advanced 60 feet each on a passed ball, but were stranded in scoring position to end the game.
TULSA 3, TENNESSEE STATE 0
- Both teams were held hitless until the third inning.
- Savanah Wallace was the first to reach safely with a hard shot off the Tulsa pitcher.
- Wallace would move to second on a Johnson sacrifice bunt, but would not move any closer to home plate.
- Starter Lauren Powell surrendered a harmless two out single in the third, before the Golden Hurricanes could scratch a run in the fourth off a double and a single.
- Tulsa added an insurance run in the sixth on a two out RBI single to produce the 2-0 result.
- TSU would put runners on in each of the final four innings, including two in the fourth.
- Vire drove a double down the right field line and moved to third on a ground out off the bat of Katie Schneider.
- Beckey Melton reached on a two out walk before the threat ended on a Reese Weber pop out.
- Weber tried to begin a comeback with a single to lead off the seventh.
- Pinch runner Ivory Jones replaced Weber, and moved to second on a one out sacrifice bunt by Lauren Farias.
- The Tigers were held scoreless for the second time this season.
- Powell went the distance and once again took the hard-luck loss for the third time this season.
The Tigers will face Mississippi State on day two of the Bulldog Kickoff Classic at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday. TSU will begin bracket play after the morning contest.
- The Tigers wore their White jerseys with blue pants and white socks.
- Temperature at the start of game one was 38 degrees
- Bri Vire and Ariel Johnson eached recorded their first starts of the season, as well as their first hits in 2020.
- Reese Weber started the season 0-for-11 before notching her first hit; Weber also collected a knock in game two.
- Temparture at the start of game two was 39 degrees; the temperture reached a high of 43 by the end of the contest.