|February 09, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||R||H||E|
|Win: Yarbrough (1-0)||6.0||5||1||1||1||5|
|Loss: SCHNEIDER (0-2)||3.0||3||5||2||2||1|
|February 09, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: AIKEY (1-1)||7.0||6||0||0||2||9|
|Loss: ESPINOZA (0-1)||4.1||4||3||2||1||1|
GAME 3: South Alabama 9, Tennessee State 1 (6 inn)
GAME 4: Western Kentucky 5, Tennessee State 0
RECORDS: TSU (0-4), USA (1-2), WKU (3-1)
FIELD: Gulf Shores Sportsplex
LOCATION: Gulf Shores, Ala.
WEATHER: Mostly Sunny, 60
GULF SHORES, Ala. --- The Tennessee State softball team dropped a pair of games on day two of the Sand Dollar Classic. The Tigers fell 9-1 in six innings to South Alabama and 5-0 to Western Kentucky. The two losses drop TSU to 0-4 on the early season.
Against South Alabama, the Tigers scored the first run of the game on an RBI single by Reese Weber. Weber drove in Patton Akers who was hit by a pitch and moved to second when Beckey Melton was plunked.
TSU committed three errors in the top of the second, allowing five runs. The Tigers could not overcome the deficit, as USA added a run in the fourth and fifth innings before tacking on two more in the sixth.
Katie Schneider suffered her second loss of the season, tossing three innings before giving way to Raven Loveless, who worked the final three innings.
In the night cap, TSU left eight runners on base and could not manage to push a run across against the Hilltoppers. WKU touched starter Jessina Espinoza for three runs, two earned, on four hits to give the freshman a loss in her first career start.
Bri Vire led the Big Blue with three hits on the day, while Weber and Akers each collected two.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers totaled 11 hits on day two
- The Big Blue left 17 runners on base on the day
- Tennessee State earned just three walks over two games
- Bri Vire led the Tigers with three hits on Saturday
- Reese Weber collected two hits versus South Alabama, while Patton Akers picked up two against Western Kentucky
- Akers reached a third time after getting plunked by a pitch
- Megan Huppee reached base four time on the day with a hit, a walk and was hit twice by pitch
- The Tigers scored in the first inning for the third consecutive game
- Reese Weber delivered a two-out single to drive home Patton Akers for the 1-0 advantage
- Akers and Beckey Melton were both hit by a pitch before Weber’s clutch hit
- South Alabama responded with five runs, two earned, in their next at bat off starter Katie Schneider
- USA would add a run in the fourth, another in the fifth and two in the sixth, all off reliever Raven Loveless
- The Tigers tried to get back in the game, but were unable to score on a two-out bases loaded opportunity in the fourth
- TSU stranded a pair of runners in the fifth and another in the sixth
- Schneider suffered her second loss on the season, allowing three hits and two walks, while fanning one
VS. WESTERN KENTUCKY
- WKU picked up a run in the first, one in the third and another in the fourth of starting pitcher Jessina Espinoza
- The Tigers had two hitters reach base in each of the first four innings, including three in the fourth, but were unable to push a run across
- Espinoza took the loss as she gave up two earned runs as she scattered four hits and a walk over 4.1 innings of work
- Schneider entered in the fifth and tossed the final 1.2 innings, allowing two runs on two hits
- Both Tiger pitchers picked up one strikeout
The Tigers close out play at the Sand Dollar Classic on Sunday with a 12:30 p.m. contest against Florida A&M.
- The Tigers wore the white tops with blue horizontal stripes, white pants with red and blue stripes and solid blue socks
- The Big Blue served as the home team against South Alabama and visitors versus Western Kentucky
- Freshman Lauren Farias recorded her first collegiate knock with a single against WKU
- Jessina Espinoza earned her first career start in the circle versus the Hilltoppers