|April 03, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Caylan Arnold (14-3)||4.0||1||0||0||3||7|
|Loss: POWELL (2-16)||4.1||4||3||3||1||1|
|Jenna Holcomb (UT)||3||0||1||0||0||0|
|Sheridan Allen (UT)||1||1||1||0||0||0|
|Tianna Batts (UT)||1||1||1||0||0||0|
|CJ McClain (UT)||2||0||1||0||0||0|
GAME 35: #8 Tennessee 3, Tennessee State 0
RECORDS: TSU (3-32), UT (32-6)
FIELD: Sherri Parker Lee Stadium
LOCATION: Knoxville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Mostly Sunny, 75
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. --- Sarah Snell came up just short of tying the game in the top of the seventh as a Tennessee defender caught her ball just in front of the fence in left field. The catch ended the game as the No. 8 Lady Vols escaped with a 3-0 win in Knoxville on Tuesday night in front of 1,520 fans.
Whitney Ennis earned a one out walk to start the rally and was followed by a double down the left field line by Patton Akers off Caitlin Arnold. The two-bagger allowed pinch runner Kierra Ware to move to third, setting up the chance for Snell.
The Tigers came up short on two other occasions, as they stranded runners on third and seven runners in all. The Pitching duo of Lauren Powell and Tori Hart kept the powerful UT lineup at bay. Powell was perfect through the first three innings and allowed her first base runner on a walk to open the fourth.
UT would get to Powell for three runs on four hits and the walk to tag her with the loss. Hart entered in relief in the fifth and retired all five batters she faced.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers left seven runners on base, while UT left two.
- Reese Weber and Katie Schneider earned first inning hits.
- Patton Akers doubled in the seventh.
- Sarah Snell, Erica O'Kane and Whitney Ennis were issued walks.
- Kasey Cox reached base after being hit by a pitch.
- Lauren Powell fanned one batter - 2017 USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year Top-3 Finalist, Meghan Gregg.
- Lauren Powell was perfect through the first three innings, retired the first nine batters she saw.
- Reese Weber picked up a one out single in the first and moved to third on a Katie Schneider single.
- Schneider drove a ball off the base of the fence in centerfield.
- Tennessee broke the scoreless tie with a run in the fourth and added a pair of insurance runs in the fifth.
- Tori Hart relieved Powell in the fifth and retired all five batters she faced.
- The Tigers challenged in the seventh with a walk by Whitney Ennis and a double by Patton Akers.
- Sarah Snell recorded the final out as she drove a ball to the fence in left field, coming up just short.
The Tigers return to Ohio Valley Conference play with a pair of double headers this weekend. TSU will travel to Cookeville on Friday for a twin bill beginning at 1:00 p.m. The game were originally scheduled for Saturday, but pushed up due to potential inclement weather. The Tigers will close out the weekend with a double dip on Sunday at Jacksonville State.
- The Tigers wore their white tops with the blue horizontal stripes along with white pants and solid blue sock
- First pitch was at 6:02 p.m. ET
- Game duration was 1:54