PHOTO GALLERY VS NORTH DAKOTA
(by Sam Jordan)
GAME 11: North Dakota 9, Tennessee State 5
RECORDS: TSU (0-11), UND (5-8)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Cloudy, 76
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State softball team is still looking for its first win of the season as their comeback effort against North Dakota came up short. The Tigers dropped a 9-5 decision to the Fighting Hawks on Saturday afternoon at Tiger Field.
The Tigers spotted UND a 5-0 lead before scoring two runs in the third. Megan Huppee put the Tigers on the board after touching home on a wild pitch. Sarah Snell made the score 5-2 with an infield single, plating Maddison Clark.
After North Dakota added a run in the fifth, Snell and Clark teamed up for another run. Snell flew out to right field, giving Clark time to tag and score the Tigers third run of the game.
Emma Colegrove would get TSU within one on a two-run double in the sixth, bringing home pinch runner Kierra Ware and Patton Akers, making the score 6-5. That’s as close as the Tigers as UND picked up a three-run home run in the seventh.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Katie Schneider extended her hit streak to five games.
- Erica O’Kane has reached safely in eight consecutive games with a single in the second.
- Maddison Clark earned her first multiple hit game of the season; third of her career.
- Emma Colegrove recorded her first double of the season.
- Sarah Snell, Bri Vire and Megan Huppee picked up hits.
- O’Kane suffered the loss and moved to 0-2 after tossing a complete game.
- North Dakota scored four runs in the first and added another in the third.
- Megan Huppee led off the bottom of the third with a single up the middle.
- Maddison Clark moved Huppee to second with a bunt single.
- A Kasey Cox sacrifice bunt allowed Clark and Huppee to advance to second and third, respectively.
- Huppee opened the Tiger scoring on a wild pitch.
- Sarah Snell picked up an infield single to plate Clark, bringing the Tigers to within three, 5-2.
- The teams traded runs in the fifth making the score 6-3.
- Clark scored on a Snell sacrifice fly after moving to third on Cox’s second sacrifice bunt.
- In the sixth, Katie Schneider doubled with one out and was replaced in favor of Kierra Ware.
- Ware advanced to third after drawing a throw allowing Patton Akers to reach on a fielder’s choice.
- Akers stole second, giving the Tigers runners on second and third.
- Emma Colegrove dropped a double just inside the right field line to chase Ware and Akers home to move within one, 6-5.
- The Tigers would not get any closer as UND picked up a three-run home run in the seventh.
The Tigers will close out the Winter Warmup on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. versus Cleveland State.
- The Tigers wore the all grey uniforms with blue socks
- Erica O’Kane tossed her second consecutive complete game
- O’Kane matched Lauren Powell for number of complete games on the season
- The Tigers eight hits is the second highest total this season