|February 18, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||R||H||E|
|Win: Della Gher (1-0)||2.2||1||0||0||1||0|
|Loss: POWELL (0-6)||4.2||11||12||10||4||4|
|Brooke Mann (INS)||4||2||3||4||0||0|
|Bella Peterson (INS)||4||1||3||4||0||0|
|February 18, 2018||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Celie Hudson (2-2)||7.0||5||1||1||1||4|
|Loss: O'KANE (0-1)||6.0||5||2||2||1||2|
|Emma Sturdivant (UTC)||3||1||2||1||0||1|
GAME 8: Indiana State 14, Tennessee State 1 (5 inn)
GAME 9: Chattanooga 2, Tennessee State 1
RECORDS: TSU (0-9), ISU (4-2), UTC (4-5)
FIELD: Frost Stadium
LOCATION: Chattanooga, Tenn.
WEATHER: Mostly Sunny, 62
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State softball team scored late in game two of the final game of the Chattanooga Challenge to force a tie, only to see their efforts thwarted by a run in the bottom of the inning. The Tigers dropped the contest to the host Mocs, 2-1, after falling in the opener, 14-1, to Indiana State.
Freshman Katie Schneider delivered a two-out double in the top of the sixth inning to chase home classmate Bri Vire to even the score at 1-1. The Mocs responded immediately against pitcher Erica O’Kane to regain advantage. O’Kane suffered the loss despite tossing a gem. The junior worked six innings, allowing two runs on five hits and a walk.
In game one, the Tigers were in a 2-1 battle with Indiana State until the Sycamores exploded in the fifth inning. ISU sent 17 batters to the plate and pushed across 12 runs to provide the final score.
TSU dropped all five games at the Chattanooga Challenge and fell to 0-9 on the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Katie Schneider collected a hit in each game.
- Kasey Cox picked up two hits against Indiana State.
- The senior ripped her fourth double of the season versus ISU.
- Cox continues to lead the Tiger hitting attack with a .318 average.
- Bri Vire recorded her first multi-hit game of her career finishing 2-for-3 at Chattanooga.
- Sarah Snell, Erica O’Kane and Whitney Ennis earned base knocks on the day.
vs. Indiana State
- Trailing 2-0 in the first, Sarah Snell singled and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Bri Vire and moved to third on a wild pitch.
- Snell scored a batter latter on a Kasey Cox single to left, cutting the score to 2-1.
- The Tigers would put runners on base in every inning, but was unable to push another run home.
- Lauren Powell fell to 0-6 as she worked 4.2 innings.
- Cox finished the game 2-for-2 with a double, a walk and an RBI.
- The Tigers threatened in the first inning as Vire and Erica O’Kane reached on singles to center.
- UTC’s Celie Hudson shut down the threat and allowed only two Tiger base runners over the next four innings.
- The Mocs scored a run in the second to take a 1-0 lead, which held to the sixth.
- Vire earned her second hit of the game to open the sixth and moved up 60 feet on a sacrifice bunt by Cox.
- With two outs, Megan Huppee was hit by a pitch to give the Tigers runners on first and second.
- Katie Schneider followed with a double to left field, driving in Vire to even the score at 1-1.
- UTC returned the favor in their half of the sixth with a two out single to push across the go ahead run.
- O’Kane fell to 0-1 in her first complete game since May, 2016.
The Tigers will play their home opener on Friday, Feb. 23, as part of the Belmont/TSU Winter Warmup. TSU will face IPFW on day one of the three day tournament. The Tigers are scheduled with games with North dakota on Saturday and Cleveland State on Sunday.
- The Tigers wore grey jerseys, grey pants and blue socks
- The Big Blue served as the home team versus Indiana State
- Powell pitched in each of the first seven games of the season
- Erika O’Kane’s complete game halted Powell’s streak of consecutive games pitched in