NASHVILLE — The Tennessee State Men's Track and Field team contained several highlights in a successful 2018-19 season. Here's a recap of the key performances by the Flying Tigers.
OHIO VALLEY CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM FINISHES
- Indoor Track and Field – 5th out of 7 (98 points)
- Outdoor Track and Field – 5th out of 8 (103 points)
During the indoor track and field season, Tennessee State earned three OVC Weekly Awards.
- 1/9/18 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Field Athlete of the Week
- 1/16/18 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Field Athlete of the Week
- 2/16/18 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Field Athlete of the Week
For his performances during the indoor season, sophomore R’Lazon Brumfield was named the OVC Male Field Athlete of the Year.
At the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Championship, held in Birmingham, AL., TSU won six individual medals and one in the 4x400m relay.
OVC Indoor Track and Field Championship Gold Medals (4)
- Long Jump – R’Lazon Brumfield – 7.62m (25-00.00)
- Triple Jump – R’Lazon Brumfield – 15.56
- 400m – Damon Hodge Jr. – 47.64
- 4x400m Relay – Tennessee State A – 3:16.26
OVC Indoor Track and Field Championship Silver Medals (2)
- 200-meter – Jamario Scott – 21.79
- 400-meter – Michael Thompson Jr. – 47.73
OVC Indoor Track and Field Championship Bronze Medals (2)
- Triple Jump – Roderick Johnson Jr. – 13.94
- Long Jump – Roderick Johnson Jr. – 6.85m (22-05.75)
For his performance at the OVC Indoor Track and Field Championship, R’Lazon Brumfield was named OVC Athlete of the Championship.
During the outdoor track and field season, Tennessee State earned four OVC Weekly Awards.
3/20/18 – Ashley Bailey – Track Athlete of the Week
3/20/18 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Field Athlete of the Week
3/27/18 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Co-Field Athlete of the Week
4/10/18 – Ashley Bailey – Co-Track Athlete of the Week
At the Ohio Valley Conference Outdoor Championship, held in Cape Girardeau, MO., TSU won seven individual medals and one in the 4x400 relay.
- Freshman Michael Thompson earned his first gold medal as a Tiger after clocking a 48.09 400m time.
- Newcomer Ashley Bailey took home two medals, one gold in the 400m hurdles (52.94) and a bronze in the 110m hurdles (15.06).
- Both relay teams medaled. The 4x100 team of Montaive Lightner, Desmond Tanner, Jamario Scott, and R’Lazon Brumfield finished second for the silver (42.28), and the 4x400 team of Damon Hodge, Michael Thompson, Ashley Bailey and Jamario Scott earned bronze with a time of 3:19.45.
- R’Lazon Brumfield rounded out his second OVC outdoor championship with a gold medal in the triple jump completing a leap of 15.07m (49’5.5”).
- Adding to his two medals from his relay performances, Jamario Scott ran a 22.15 200 meter to place second.
R’Lazon Brumfield was named the 2018-19 OVC Outdoor Male Field Athlete of the Year. Brumfield qualified for Nationals in the long jump with a distance of 7.59 during the NCAA East Preliminary Round and leaped to a personal best of 16.36m (53-8¼ ) in the triple jump at Hodges Stadium in his hometown of Jacksonville, Fla.
Brumfield finished his sophomore season at Nationals 16th in the long jump out of 21 (7.62m) and 11th out of 24 in the triple (16.14m) at Austin, Texas.
- In her hometown of Jacksonville, Fl., Tennessee State Track and Field Director Chandra Cheeseborough-Guice was honored by having April 6, 2019, the official Chandra Cheeseborough Day across the state of Florida.