NCAA EAST PRELIMINARY ROUND
Thursday, May 26 – Saturday, May 28
Jacksonville, Fla. | Hodges Stadium
STARTING LINE: Jason Griffin (Gallatin, Tenn.), Kareem Nicholas (Atlanta, Ga.) and Quamel Prince (Nashville, Tenn.) will all represent the Tennessee State men’s track and field team at the NCAA East Preliminary Round at Hodges Stadium in Jacksonville, Fla. May 26-28.
ATHLETE - EVENT, TIME/MARK (REGIONAL SEED)
- Jason Griffin – 400m Hurdles, 52.20 (#43)
- Kareem Nicholas – Long Jump, 7.46m (#48)
- Kareem Nicholas – Triple Jump, 15.69m (#23)
- Quamel Prince – 800m, 1:48.66 (#32)
MOVING ON: In order to advance to the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Ore., on June 8-11, competitors will need to finish in the top 12 in their respective events in the preliminary round. The Preliminary round is broken up into East (Jacksonville, Fla.) and West (Lawrence, Kan.) regions.
HOW THEY GOT HERE: Jason Griffin (Gallatin, Tenn.) secured his spot in the NCAA East Preliminary Round in the 400m hurdles with a time of 52.20 in the preliminary round at the Ohio Valley Conference Championship at TSU. For Quamel Prince (Nashville, Tenn.), his seed time of 1:48.66 in the 800m was achieved at the Florida Relays early in the outdoor season. TSU’s lone male student-athlete to qualify in multiple events, Kareem Nicholas (Atlanta, Ga.) reached 15.69m in the triple jump at the Govs Invitational and earned the silver medal in the long jump at the OVC Championship with a distance of 7.46m.
2016 OVC MEDALS FOR TSU’S ENTRIES
- Indoor: 55m Hurdles – Bronze, 4x400m Relay – Silver
- Outdoor: 110m Hurdles – Gold, 400m Hurdles – Silver, 4x400m Relay – Silver
- Outdoor: Long Jump – Silver, Triple Jump – Bronze
- Indoor: 800m – Gold, 4x400m Relay - Silver
- Outdoor: 800m – Gold, 4x400m Relay – Silver, 4x100m Relay – Bronze