NASHVILLE --- The Tigers took on Belmont in a cross-town rivalry Thursday afternoon. Tennessee State men’s tennis team was handed a 6-1 loss. Senior Kyle Burton won his No. 5 singles match for TSU’s point.
“We played really good doubles today,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Kyle continues to play well. He had a tough match and never gave up. He deserved the win. Shashank played well today also. He was a few points from winning his match. The men have to keep working and get ready for two tough matches this weekend.”
Belmont captured the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The team of Shashank Nautiyal and Jorge Rodriguez played at the No.3 spot and won by a 6-3 score.
Burton was the lone Tiger to win in singles, earning a three set victory at No. 5. After winning the first set, Burton dropped set two before earning a 10-7 set three win.
Nautiyal fought tooth and nail before ultimately falling at No. 4. After losing the first set he battled back to win set two by a 7-6(0-4) score. However, in the final frame he was edged out 10-8
The Tigers head to Cookeville, Tenn. to take on Tennessee Tech tomorrow afternoon at 1 pm.
- Cedric Dujacquier (BELM) def. BROWN, Matthew (TSUM) 6-1, 6-2
- Vincent Sterkens (BELM) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSUM) 6-3, 6-0
- Hendrik Inno (BELM) def. PARANT, Tom (TSUM) 6-0, 6-1
- Zak Khan (BELM) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) 7-6 (6-0), 6-7 (0-4), 10-8
- BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) def. Josiah Collins (BELM) 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
- Bruno Russo (BELM) def. SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) 6-1, 6-2
- Cedric Dujacquier/Hendrik Inno (BELM) def. BROWN, Matthew/MADDOX, Grant (TSUM) 6-2
- Stephen Goldman/Zak Khan (BELM) def. PARANT, Tom/BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) 6-4
- RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) def. Bruno Russo/Vincent Sterkens (BELM) 6-3