HUNTSVILLE, Ala. --- Playing two road matches this weekend, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team came away with an 0-2 record. The Tigers dropped a match to Alabama A&M on Friday 4-3, before losing 6-1 to Eastern Kentucky Saturday afternoon.
--Tennessee State 3, Alabama A&M 4--
TSU started off doubles play with Larry Sloan and Matt Brown losing in the No. 1 slot 7-5. The Tigers would bounce back with a 6-2 No. 2 win from the team of Kyle Burton and Tom Parant. Jorge Rodriguez and Shashank Nautiyal capped off doubles play with a hard fought 7-5 win.
In singles Nautiyal and Burton were the only Tigers to capture wins playing at No. 4 and No 5. Burton has been undefeated this spring in singles play. Two other Tigers had extremely tough matches before falling in the third set. Matt Brown playing at No. 1, and Jorge Rodriguez at No. 2 took their opponents to the third set.
- NADARAJA, Nishanqan (AAMU) def. BROWN, Matthew (TSUM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
- MONROY RUEDA, Mateo (AAMU) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSUM) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- BIGOTT, Christian (AAMU) def. PARANT, Tom (TSUM) 6-2, 6-2
- NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) def. SALAS, Carlos (AAMU) 6-1, 6-4
- BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) def. BEAZER, Jarib (AAMU) 6-0, 6-2
- WILSON, Joshua (AAMU) def. RICHARDSON, Kato (TSUM) 6-2, 6-4
- NADARAJA, Nishanqan/BIGOTT, Christian (AAMU) def. BROWN, Matthew/SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) 7-5
- BURTON, Kyle/PARANT, Tom (TSUM) def. SALAS, Carlos/MONROY RUEDA, Mateo (AAMU) 6-2
- RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) def. BEAZER, Jarib/WILSON, Joshua (AAMU) 7-5
--Tennessee State 1, Eastern Kentucky 6--
RICHMOND, KY. --- The Tigers took on Eastern Kentucky Saturday afternoon as they stepped back into OVC play taking on the Colonels in Richmond.
“The guys played great doubles," Head Coach Monroe Walker III stated. "We had the momentum going into singles with a 1-0 lead. Larry played his first conference match of the season at No. 6 and lost in the third set. He had the advantage in the second set but could not close it out. He played well. We have to improve. All of our matches were close”
TSU captured the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. The team of Tom Parant and Kyle Burton earned a 6-1 win; while Shashank Nautiyal and Jorge Rodriguez played at the No.3 spot and captured a 6-2 victory to give the Tigers an advantage heading into singles play.
Burton dropped his first singles match of the spring season at No. 5 by a 6-3, 7-5 score.
Larry Sloan got his first singles action this season in conference play at the No. 6 slot. Sloan fought valiantly before losing in three sets.
UP NEXT: The Tigers return to action Apr. 13 against Belmont at Hadley Park.
- Ramon van Flymen (EKU) def. BROWN, Matthew (TSUM) 6-1, 6-3
- Sebastian Mueller (EKU) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSUM) 6-1, 6-0
- Jan Kuehling (EKU) def. PARANT, Tom (TSUM) 6-3, 6-4
- Parth Aggarwal (EKU) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSUM) 7-6, 6-3
- Diego Asis (EKU) def. BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) 6-3, 7-5
- Guillem Sanchis (EKU) def. SLOAN, Larry (TSUM) 4-6, 7-6, 1-0 (10-5)
- Ramon van Flymen/Sebastian Mueller (EKU) def. SLOAN, Larry/BROWN, Matthew (TSUM) 6-2
- PARANT, Tom/BURTON, Kyle (TSUM) def. Jan Kuehling/Romain Stoffels (EKU) 6-1
- NAUTIYAL, Shashank/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSUM) def. Parth Aggarwal/Diego Asis (EKU) 6-2