MURFREESBORO, TENN. --- Competing for the first time this spring, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to Middle Tennessee State at the Murphy Center Complex.
“I was pleased on how we played,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Tom and Kyle did great in singles. They competed and were not scared of the competition. We saw we could play with a very good team. They will be good this year. We see what we need to work on before the next match. Doubles play was good and we had great effort. I am looking forward to getting back on the practice court.”
Kyle Burton was the lone Tiger to win in singles defeating Miguel Negre in three sets. Tom Parant fought valiantly before falling in three sets to Luis Diaz.
In doubles, Burton would team up with Parant to win the only doubles match for the Tigers by a 6-3 score. Matthew Brown and Grant Maddox lost 6-3 playing in the number one doubles slot; while Shashank Nautiyal and Jorge Rodriguez dropped their double match 6-2.
1.Gonzalo Morell (MT) def. Matthew Brown (TSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Tom Moonen (MT) def. Shashank Nautiyal (TSU) 6-2, 6-0
3. #113 Luis Morillo Diaz (MT) def. Tom Parant (TSU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (10-1)
4. Kyle Burton (TSU) def. Miguel Negre (MT) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Max Rauch (MT) def. Jorge Rodriguez (TSU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Gian Issa (MT) def. Grant Maddox (TSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Gonzalo Morell/Tom Moonen (MT) def. Matthew Brown/Grant Maddox (TSU) 6-3
2. Kyle Burton/Tom Parant (TSU) def. Max Rauch/Luis Morillo Diaz (MT) 6-3
3. Gian Issa/Miguel Negre (MT) def. Shashank Nautiyal/Jorge Rodriguez (TSU) 6-2