MURRAY, Ky. – In a back-and-forth match at Bennie Purcell Courts on Tuesday, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss at the hands of Murray State in Ohio Valley Conference play.
“I thought the guys blew a great opportunity today,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “We had the match point for doubles and couldn’t pull it out. Shashank (Nautiyal), Kyle (Burton) and Jorge (Rodriguez) battled. We should have won but didn’t have help from everyone. We have to capitalize on opportunities. I’m proud of the effort from most of the team today.”
Tennessee State (9-13, 1-6 OVC) had match point at No. 1 doubles before Murray State (3-20, 1-6 OVC) came back to win the match and the doubles point. In singles, TSU won at No. 2, 3 and 4 singles.
At the No. 2 doubles slot, the pairing of Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.) and Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) picked up a 6-4 victory on the day.
Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India) fought his way to a 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 victory in the third set tiebreaker for a No. 2 singles win. Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) also played his way to a three-set victory, winning in comeback fashion by scores of 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 over Srdjan Trosic at No. 3.
In addition to his doubles win, Burton added a No. 4 singles victory against David Schrott, 6-2, 6-1.
TSU’s final match of the season will be Thursday, April 14, at Hadley Park versus Belmont at 2 p.m.
1. SCHROTT David/UELTZHOEFFER Marcel (MUR) def. BERNAL, Daniel/DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 7-6 (7-3)
2. MADDOX, Grant/BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. TRUE Will/HESS David (MUR) 6-4
3. VILLAR Javier/TROSIC Srdjan (MUR) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 6-4
1. UELTZHOEFFER Marcel (MUR) def. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) def. TRUE Will (MUR) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6
3. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) def. TROSIC Srdjan (MUR) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. SCHROTT David (MUR) 6-2, 6-1
5. HESS David (MUR) def. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. VILLAR Javier (MUR) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-0, 6-1