EDWARDSVILLE, Ill. – Despite a number of close matches, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team lost to SIUE on Friday afternoon at the SIUE Tennis Courts by a 4-0 final score in Ohio Valley Conference action.
“It was a disappointing day for the guys,” Tennessee State Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “We felt like this was a winnable match, but we didn’t come ready to perform. We had too many close matches. We have to get over the hump and close out matches.”
The Tigers (7-11, 0-5 OVC) fell in two doubles matches, and TSU senior Daniel Bernal (Bogota, Colombia) was leading at No. 1 singles in a match that went unfinished when SIUE (8-12, 3-1 OVC) clinched the winning point.
Facing Tristan Houle, Bernal took the first set, 6-4. He trailed Houle, 4-3, in the second set when the match ended.
Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India) and Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) also had their singles matches cut short at No. 2 and No. 4, respectively. Nautiyal lost his first set by a 6-4 score and was trailing, 5-2, when the match ended.
After dropping the first set, Burton was ready to play a tiebreaker with the score tied at 6-6 in the second set of his match with Dan Lineberry.
TSU looks to bounce back with another OVC road test at Eastern Illinois tomorrow in Charleston, Ill.
1. Jack Desse/Matthew Hutchinson (SIUE) def. BURTON, Kyle/BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-3
2. Tristan Houle/Patrick Gaffigan (SIUE) def. DANIEL, Amir/MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-1
3. Nico Kuehn/Dan Lineberry (SIUE) vs. NAUTIYAL, Shashank/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) unfinished
1. Tristan Houle (SIUE) vs. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. Matthew Hutchinson (SIUE) vs. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. Patrick Gaffigan (SIUE) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
4. Dan Lineberry (SIUE) vs. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) 6-3, 6-6, unfinished
5. Jack Desse (SIUE) def. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-1, 7-5
6. Nico Kuehn (SIUE) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-2, 6-0