MEMPHIS, Tenn. – Playing two road matches on Saturday, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team came away with a pair of victories. The Tigers began the day by defeating Rhodes, 6-3, and went on to earn a second victory at LeMoyne-Owen, 9-0.
“We had a great weekend,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Rhodes is a very good school. It was our first outdoor match, and we had to adjust and we played well. Doubles was dominant for the men, and it set the tone for every match. I was happy with how we played.”
TSU will look to make it three wins in a row with the Ohio Valley Conference opener set for Friday, March 18 at home.
-- Tennessee State 6, Rhodes 3 --
The Tigers swept the three doubles matches before taking three of the singles matches for a 6-3 win in the team’s first match of the day versus Rhodes at the Dunavant Tennis Complex.
TSU’s winning top doubles pairing of Daniel Bernal (Bogota, Colombia) and Amir Daniel (Atlanta, Ga.) secured an 8-2 victory. The No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches were more highly contested as the teams of Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.)/Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) earned an 8-5 No. 2 win, while Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India)/Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) added an 8-4 No. 3 victory.
All three of TSU’s singles wins came in straight sets versus Rhodes. Nautiyal picked up a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 2, Rodriguez was a 6-3, 6-0 winner at No. 3 and Burton played his way to a 6-4, 6-3 win at the No. 4 position.
1. BERNAL, Daniel/DANIEL, Amir (TSU) def. BLATT, Eliot/BRILLIANT, Greyson (RHO) 8-2
2. MADDOX, Grant/BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. VACHERON, Albert/OLIVIER, Daniel (RHO) 8-5
3. NAUTIYAL, Shashank/RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) def. HOGAN, Sean/GUDISEVA, Sairam (RHO) 8-4
1. BLATT, Eliot (RHO) def. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 7-6, 5-7, 10-6
2. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) def. VACHERON, Albert (RHO) 6-2, 6-2
3. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) def. BARRETT, Henry (RHO) 6-3, 6-0
4. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. BRILLIANT, Greyson (RHO) 6-4, 6-3
5. OLIVIER, Daniel (RHO) def. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. HOGAN, Sean (RHO) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-0, 6-1
-- Tennessee State 9, LeMoyne-Owen 0
The Tigers were able to complete the sweep on the day thanks to a 9-0 win against LeMoyne-Owen at the Bellevue Tennis Center. TSU won two doubles matches and four singles matches in the second match of the day.
Burton and Maddox moved up to the top doubles slot and secured an 8-3 win, with Rodriguez and Nautiyal pairing for an 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles.
Singles action continued to go in the Tigers’ favor as Bernal won his No. 1 match, 6-3, 6-1. Nautiyal (No. 2), Burton (No. 3) and Maddox (No. 4) also earned victories versus LeMoyne-Owen.
1. BURTON, Kyle/MADDOX, Grant (TSU) def. COINS, Cody/DAVIS, Ashton (LOC) 8-3
2. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) def. SMITH, Anthony/TATE, Kendall (LOC) 8-0
3. DANIEL, Amir/BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) def. No player/No player (LOC), by default
1. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) def. COINS, Cody (LOC) 6-3, 6-1
2. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) def. DAVIS, Ashton (LOC) 6-0, 6-0
3. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. TATE, Kendall (LOC) 6-1, 6-1
4. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) def. SMITH, Anthony (LOC) 6-0, 6-0
5. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) def. No player (LOC), by default
6. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) def. No player (LOC), by default