DAYTON, Ohio – Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) and Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.) earned singles victories in the Tennessee State men’s tennis team’s 5-2 loss at Dayton at the Five Seasons Sports Park on Friday.
“The guys played well today,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Kyle and Grant played great. They battled and their hard work in practice is paying off. The guys have to step up tomorrow (at Northern Kentucky) and compete. I’m looking for better results."
TSU (4-3) fell in the three doubles matches to Atlantic 10 opponent Dayton (7-3) before winning two of the six singles matches.
Competing at No. 4 singles, Burton dropped the first set to Bernardo Sanson, 6-4. He was able to bounce back, however, picking up a 7-5 win in the second set before taking the third set tiebreaker.
At the No. 5 position, Maddox also fought his way to a victory after losing the first set. Dayton’s Lorenzo Rollhauser played his way to a 6-3 first-set win, but Maddox forced the tiebreaker by a 7-5 score in set number two. Maddox continued to play well in the tiebreaker to pick up his team-leading eighth singles win of the season.
Next on the schedule, the Tigers take on Northern Kentucky on the road on Feb. 20.
1. FISHER, Carsten/BERRY, Zach (DAY) def. MADDOX, Grant/BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-1
2. ROLLHAUSER, Lorenzo/BENJAMIN, Jordan (DAY) def. BURTON, Kyle/NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 6-2
3. DRUFFEL, Andy/MacDONALD, Kyle (DAY) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-3
1. BENJAMIN, Jordan (DAY) def. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. FISHER, Carsten (DAY) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 7-6, 6-1
3. BERRY, Zach (DAY) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) def. SANSON, Bernardo (DAY) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
5. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) def. ROLLHAUSER, Lorenzo (DAY) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0
6. REINBOLD, Graham (DAY) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-1, 6-3