NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Squaring off with No. 27 Vanderbilt, the Tennessee State men’s tennis team was handed a 7-0 defeat on Saturday at the Brownlee O. Currey Jr. Tennis Center.
“Our team competed really well,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “Vandy is the best team we will play all year, and we kept up with them. This shows the guys where they need to be to get to be next level. Kyle (Burton) played amazing and could have won. I’m happy with most of the team’s effort.”
In doubles action, the Tigers’ top pairing of Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) and Daniel Bernal (Bogota, Colombia) went head-to-head with Pen Binet and Tate Allwardt in a competitive match, falling by a 6-2 score.
The day’s most highly contested match came at No. 4 singles where Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) took on Allwardt. After falling in the first set, 6-3, Burton continued to battle, eventually dropping the second set by a 7-6 score.
At the No. 2 singles slot, reigning Ohio Valley Conference Co-Athlete of the Week Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India) was handed a 6-1, 6-3 loss, while Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.) suffered an 8-5 defeat in No. 6 singles action.
Next on the schedule, the Tigers travel to take on Dayton on Feb. 19 and Northern Kentucky on Feb. 20.
1. Pen Binet/Tate Allwardt (VANDY) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge/BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-2
2. Daniel Valent/Baker Newman (VANDY) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank/BURTON, Kyle (TSU) 6-1
3. Cameron Klinger/Vikram Chari (VANDY) def. DANIEL, Amir/MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 6-1
1. #97 Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. BERNAL, Daniel (TSU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Cameron Klinger (VANDY) def. NAUTIYAL, Shashank (TSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Baker Newman (VANDY) def. RODRIGUEZ, Jorge (TSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Tate Allwardt (VANDY) def. BURTON, Kyle (TSU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Pen Binet (VANDY) def. DANIEL, Amir (TSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Vikram Chari (VANDY) def. MADDOX, Grant (TSU) 8-5