NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Tennessee State men’s tennis team won all three doubles matches and all six singles matches to earn a 7-0 victory over Christian Brothers on Friday at the Hadley Park Bubble in the final fall action of the season.
“The guys dominated today,” Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “They played a good team but didn’t let up. To sweep them was good for us, and we know what we need to do to take it to the next level. We are young and have a lot of room to grow. We are glad to have a winning record.”
Sophomore Shashank Nautiyal (Delhi, India) and Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) fought their way to an 8-4 victory at the No. 1 doubles slot versus CBU’s Austin Essary and Nick Wiseman.
TSU (2-1) also came up with victories at No. 2 doubles with Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.) and Daniel Bernal (Bogota, Colombia) teaming up for an 8-1 victory, while freshmen Amir Daniel (Atlanta, Ga.) and Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Columbia) had no trouble in their No. 3 doubles match, 8-0.
The Tigers went on to win all six singles matches in straight sets to complete the sweep.
Bernal defeated Wiseman at the No. 1 position by scores of 6-3, 6-1, and Nautiyal was a 6-3, 6-0 No. 2 singles winner over Essary.
Burton (No. 3), Rodriguez (No. 4) and Maddox (No. 5) did not drop a game in their respective singles matches, posting winning scores of 6-0, 6-0.
After winning the first set, 6-1, in his No. 6 singles match, Daniel fell behind Will Chamberlin, 5-4 in the second. Daniel was able to battle back to win the second set, 7-5, to earn the victory.
1. Nautiyal/Burton (TSU) def. Essary/Wiseman (CBU), 8-4
2. Maddox/Bernal (TSU) def. Cotros/D’Alto (CBU), 8-1
3. Daniel/Rodriguez (TSU) def. Kim/Sriraman (CBU), 8-0
1. Daniel Bernal (TSU) def. Nick Wiseman (CBU), 6-3, 6-1
2. Shashank Nautiyal (TSU) def. Austin Essary (CBU), 6-3, 6-0
3. Kyle Burton (TSU) def. Daniel D’Alto (CBU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jorge Rodriguez (TSU) def. Nick Cotros (CBU), 6-0, 6-0
5. Grant Maddox (TSU) def. Abel Kim (CBU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Amir Daniel (TSU) def. Will Chamberlin (CBU), 6-1, 7-5
ORDER OF FINISH: Doubles - 3, 2, 1; Singles – 5, 6, 2, 1, 3, 4