ST. LOUIS - The Tennessee State men’s tennis team kicked off fall dual match action with a hard-fought 5-4 win road win over Missouri Baptist on Friday night.
After falling behind in doubles, the Tigers responded with four singles victories to pick up the victory against their NAIA opponent.
TSU earned one point in doubles play thanks to the effort of Grant Maddox (Greenbrier, Tenn.) and Daniel Bernal (Bogota, Colombia) at No. 2. The duo picked up an 8-6 win in their matchup with James Tobin and Sean Nanney.
Bernal was also victorious in his No. 2 singles match versus Quinton Argent, securing a 6-1, 6-1 win. After losing the first set of his No. 3 singles match, freshman Jorge Rodriguez (Bogota, Colombia) bounced back with 6-3, 6-3 wins the rest of the way for a victory.
Senior Kyle Burton (Madison, Tenn.) defeated Nanney by a 6-3, 6-3 final score at No. 4, and Maddox completed his undefeated day with a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Dylan Walker at No. 5 singles.
The Tigers will take on McKendree on Saturday, Oct. 17 on the road.
1. Oliveira/Argent (MBU) def. Nautiyal/Burton (TSU), 8-4
2. Maddox/Bernal (TSU) def. Tobin/Nanney (MBU), 8-6
3. Walker/Morris (MBU) def. Rodriguez/Daniel (TSU), 8-5
1. Lucas Oliveira (MBU) def. Shashank Nautiyal (TSU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Daniel Bernal (TSU) def. Quinton Argent (MBU), 6-1, 6-1
3. Jorge Rodriguez (TSU) def. James Tobin (MBU), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Kyle Burton (TSU) def. Sean Nanney (MBU), 6-3, 6-3
5. Grant Maddox (TSU) def. Dylan Walker (MBU), 6-4, 6-1
6. Tanner Morris (MBU) def. Amir Daniel (TSU), 6-2, 6-2