RESULTS: ROUND 1 | ROUND 2
Event 1: 16th Murray State Invitational
Hosted by: Murray State
Location: Murray, Ky.
Course: Miller Memorial Golf Club
Details: Par-71, Yardage – 6,601
Weather at Start of Round1: 78, Sunny
Weather at Start of Round2: 87, Sunny
Scoring: Stats Following Each Day at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 1: 8th of 17 (+6)
Place After Round 2: 9th of 17 (+18)
Top 5 Teams:
|5.||Southern Illinois (B)||575||+7|
MURRAY, Ky. --- The Tennessee State men’s golf team opened the 2019-20 season with the first two rounds of the Murray State Invitational. The Tigers posted an 18-over, 586, and sit in ninth place in the field of 17. The host team, Murray State, holds a 10 stroke lead heading into the final round after teaming for a 22-under, 546.
Landon Albert led the Tigers in the first round with a 4-under, 67. The score had the transfer two strokes out of the lead.
Albert carded six birdies, an eagle and needed just 24 putts through the first 18 holes. The senior highlighted his day by hitting a 5-iron from 200 yards out to 12 feet of the flag on the par-5, 17th, to set up the putt for eagle.
Albert started the second round with a birdie on the par-3, 2nd, but could not sustain his hot start. The Hendersonville, Tenn. product used 35 putts during the afternoon session to fire a 75 to finish the day with at Even.
Freshman Kamren James matched Albert on the day by recording a 70 in the morning session and followed it up with a 72, to enter the clubhouse with an Even, 142. James holed-out from 15 yards out on the par-4, 11th, for eagle and followed up with a 45-foot birdie putt on No. 12.
Freshman Lane Hooper scored in both rounds for the Tigers, while fellow first-year Allen Stokes posted a countable score during the first round. Senior Tyler Woods scored for the Big Blue in the second round.
Transfer John Stokes, playing as an individual, shot a 21-over, 163.
Day Two: The final round will take place on Tuesday with a Shotgun Start at 8:00 a.m. The forecast calls for a warm day with a high of 95.
Tyler Woods (79-76=155)
- Hit 18 greens on the day
- Used 63 putts through two rounds
- Registered five birdies on the day
Lane Hooper (76-73=149)
- Hit 15 through the first two rounds
- Found 23 greens on the day
- Averaged 30 putts per round
- Carded three consecutive birdies during the second round, beginning on No. 2
Landon Albert (67-75=142)
- Played the Par-3s at 1-under
- The result was the second best score of the field
- Used 24 putts in round one, 35 in the second
- Hit 15 fairways on Monday, 25 greens
Kamren James (70-72=142)
- Finished the day with 28 pars
- The amount was the second highest in the field of 95 golfers
- Was one par behind Southern Illinois’ Vikar Jonasson
Allen Stokes (77-84=161)
- Carded two birdies during the first round
- Did not record a birdie in the afternoon session
John Stokes (82-81-163)
- Made two birdies on the day
- Knocked down a birdie from 40 yards out
- Hit seven fairways and 14 greens on Monday
Leaderboard (95 Golfers)
1. Jack Story (UT Martin) 68-64=132, -10
T19. Landon Albert 67-75=142, E
T19. Kamren James 70-72=142 E
T48. Lane Hooper 76-73=149, +7
T68. Tyler Woods 79-76=155, +13
85. Allen Stokes 77-84=161, +19
T87. John Stokes (I) 82-81=163, +21
Senior Tyler Woods
- On birdies on No. 11
“I hit my tee shots down the left side both times which set up a perfect wedge. I hit both of them inside of four feet.”