Event 9: PGA WORKS Intercollegiate Championship
Hosted by: PGA of America
Location: Port St. Lucie, Fla.
Course: PGA Golf Club - Wanamaker
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 6,840
Weather at Start of Round 1: Sunny, 81
Place After 1st Round: 3rd of 10 (+13)
Top 5 Teams:
|5.||North Carolina A&T||307||+19|
- Par-3 Scoring – Drew Owens and Rosario Falzone, 1-under
- The duo are tied with two over golfers for the best result for Par-3 scoring
- Par-4 Scoring – Falzone, 1-under, Owens, 1-over, Tyler Woods, 2-over
- Falzone has posted the second best score on all Par-4’s, while Owens is tied for the fourth best and Woods tied with the fifth
- Par-5 Scoring - Falzone and Scotty Hudson, 1-under
- The Tiger pair are tied for the third best
- Eagles – Owens is one of three golfers in the field of 50 who recorded one on the day
- Birdies – Rosario Falzone leads all golfers with six, Owens recorded the third highest amount with three
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. --- Rosario Falzone carded six birdies on day one of the PGA WORKS Intercollegiate Championship on his way to a 3-under, 69. The score tops the field and is two shots in front of Chicago State’s Austin Dobrescu.
The seniors performance helped Tennessee State to a team 13-over, 301. The Tigers will head into day two in third place, one stroke behind Bethune-Cookman and Florida A&M who are tied for the top spot at 12-over, 300.
Falzone opened the day with a birdie before giving the stroke back with a bogey on the par-4, 2nd. The Nashville product responded with a birdie on No. 3 and five consecutive pars. Falzone scored a bogey on No. 9 to finish at Even through the front nine. The fourth-year caught fire on the backside with four birdies and four pars over the next eight holes. Falzone just missed on entering the clubhouse at 4-under as he bogeyed the par, 18th.
Drew Owens highlighted his day with an Eagle on the par-5, 7th, which moved him to 4-under to start the day. Owens ran into trouble over the final 11 holes, carding four bogeys and a triple to finish in a tie for ninth with a 3-over, 75.
Tyler Woods got off to a slow start before firing a 1-over on the back nine to close out the day with a 6-over, 78. Scotty Hudson closed out the scoring for TSU with a 7-over, 79. Hudson edged out Sam Gatlin (8-over, 80) for the final scoring round for the Tigers.
Up Next: The Tigers will take to the course on Saturday afternoon for round two of the PGA WORKS Intercollegiate Championship.
Sam Gatlin - 12:55 p.m.
Scotty Hudson - 1:06 p.m.
Tyler Woods - 1:17 p.m.
Drew Owens - 1:28 p.m.
Rosario Falzone - 1:39 p.m.
Leaderboard (50 Golfers)
1. Rosario Falzone 69, -3
T9. Drew Owens 75, +3
T23. Tyler Woods 78, +6
T26. Scotty Hudson 79, +7
T30. Sam Gatlin 80, +8