Event 8: Ohio Valley Conference Championship
Hosted by: Ohio Valley Conference
Location: Muscle Shoals, Ala.
Course: Robert Trent Jones at the Shoals - Fighting Joe
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 7,258
Weather at Start of Round 3: Cloudy, 65
Weather at the End of the Round: Cloudy, 85
Place After 3rd Round: 10th of 11 (+49)
Top 5 Teams:
- Eagles – Woods recorded one on Sunday and was one of fourth golfers in the field of 55 to accomplish the feat
- Zac Viminitz of Morehead State made two Eagles on Sunday and added one on Monday
- Par-5 Scoring - Rosario Falzone has played the 12 holes at 2-under for the tournament
- The score is the sixth best over two days
- Pars – Drew Owens finished the first round with 14 pars on Sunday, 10 on Monday and 13 on Tuesday
- The 37 for Owens was the sixth most of all golfers through both rounds
- Erik Lindwall of Eastern Kentucky notched 48 pars
MUSCLE SHOALS, Ala. --- Drew Owens and Scotty Hudson posted their best rounds of the Ohio Valley Conference Championship on Tuesday. The performances by the two seniors helped Tennessee State climb one spot in the final standings, placing 10th.
The Tigers teamed for a 12-over, 300, on the final day. Owens led the way for TSU with a 1-under, 71, to finish one stroke of Hudson who carded an Even, 72. Owens played the front nine at 1-over after a bogey on the par-4, 2nd, and fell to 2-over with a bogey on No. 11. The Atlanta, Ga. product caught fire as he birdied three consecutive holes to move to 1-under. The first of his three score cutters came on the par-3, 13th, followed by a pair of par-4’s.
After opening with two pars, Hudson birdied the par-4, 3rd, before running into a double bogey on the par-3, 5th. Hudson remained at 1-over for the round with six consecutive pars. The Franklin, Tenn. native closed out the day with a birdie on the par-5, 12th, and six straight pars.
Fellow seniors, Rosario Falzone and Sam Gatlin posted scoring rounds for the Tigers. Falzone used three birdies to fire a 4-over, 76, while Gatlin shot a 9-over, 81.
Mikus Ming matched Gatlin’s 81, but the result was a non-countable score for the freshman. Ming played his first round of the three day event, replacing Tyler Woods in the lineup. This year marked the first time the NCAA allowed alternates available for replacement during post season play.
Up Next: The Tigers will take part in the 33rd PGA Minority Collegiate Championship on May 9-12 at the PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
Leaderboard (55 Golfers)
1. Jesus Montenegro (Jacksonville State) 67-68-69=204, -12
T31. Drew Owens 75-76-71=222, +6
T40. Rosario Falzone 75-77-76=228, +12
T43. Scotty Hudson 78-82-72=232, +16
T43. Sam Gatlin 74-77-81=232, +16
-- Tyler Woods 77-85-NA=NA
-- Mikus Ming NA-NA-81=NA