Event 2: Memphis Intercollegiate
Hosted by: University of Memphis
Location: Memphis, Tenn.
Course: Colonial Country Club
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 7,235
Weather at Start of Round1: 74, Sunny
Weather at Start of Round2: 90, Mostly Sunny
Place After Round 1: T-5th of 10 (+10)
Place After Round 2: 8th of 10 (+23)
Top 5 Teams:
MEMPHIS, Tenn. --- Tennessee State finished day one of the Memphis Intercollegiate at 23-over and is sitting in eighth. The Tigers will enter the final day wedged between Ohio Valley Conference opponents Belmont and Austin Peay.
TSU holds an eight stroke advantage over the Govs and trail the Bruins by three. The Big Blue is within striking distance of a top four finish, as they trail IUPUI by eight strokes.
Chattanooga holds the team lead at 5-under, followed by Oral Roberts at 1-over and Memphis at 2-over.
Chattanooga’s Oliver Simonsen is the individual leader after carding a 12-under, 132. Drew Owens fired a 1-under during the first round and was in a tie for seventh place. The senior fell off the pace, shooting a 78 during the afternoon session, and is tied for 25th in the field of 61.
Owens scored for the Tigers in both rounds and was joined by Scotty Hudson and Mikus Ming. Tyler Woods posted a countable 4-over, 76, through the first 18 holes, while John Tyminski bounced back from a first round 79, to card a 1-over, 73, in the afternoon.
The final round will begin with tee times at 8:00 a.m. Woods will be the first Tiger on the course and will be followed by Tyminski nine minutes later. Ming will be next on the links, just ahead of Hudson and Owens. All five Tigers will tee off from the 10th hole and finish on No. 9.
Scotty Hudson (Started on Hole 14)
- Got up and down four out of four times from bunkers during the first round.
- Notched back-to-back double bogey’s to open the second round.
- Played the last 16 holes at Even par.
- Got up and down for par three times from bunkers during the afternoon session.
- Played the courses par-5’s at 2-under, along with teammate John Tyminski.
John Tyminski (Started on Hole 15)
- One of seven golfers to register an eagle.
- Reached the green on second shot with a 3-wood on the par-5, 16th, to set up eagle putt.
- Played the courses par-5’s at 2-under, along with teammate Scotty Hudson.
Tyler Woods (Hole 16)
- Sank four birdies during the first round.
- Opened the day by hitting a wedge to five feet for birdie on the par-5, 16th.
- Hit wedge to seven feet on No. 18 for second birdie of the morning.
- Rolled in a birdie putt on No. 8 from 35 feet.
- Hit 9-iron from 145 yards, up the hill, on the par-4, 11th, to one foot of the cup.
- Tapped in for final birdie of the day.
Drew Owens (Hole 17)
- After starting the day with three pars, traded bogeys and birdies for the next four holes.
- First birdie came on the par-3, 3rd, hit a 4-iron from 193 yards to 12 feet.
- Reeled off five pars before hitting a wedge to six feet, scoring a birdie on the par-4, 11th.
- Closed out the round with five consecutive pars to finish the first round at 1-under.
- Was tied for seventh after the first 18 holes.
- Recorded two birdies during the second round.
- Got up and down on the par-5, 1st, for birdie.
- Final birdie of the day came on the par-4, 9th, on a six foot putt.
- Played the par-3’s on day one at Even par, fourth best of the tournament field.
Mikus Ming (Hole 18)
- Carded 25 pars on the day.
- The amount was tied for seventh of all players, fourth best total.
- Posted a 2-over, 74, during the second round of first collegiate event.
Day Two: The final round will take place on Tuesday with Tee Times at 8:00 a.m. The forecast shows a slight chance of rain with a breeze at 4 mph out of the W and a high of 93.
Final Round Tee Times (All from the 10th Hole):
8:00 a.m. - Tyler Woods
8:09 a.m. - John Tyminski
8:18 a.m. - Mikus Ming
8:27 a.m. - Scotty Hudson
8:36 a.m. - Drew Owens
Leaderboard (63 Golfers)
1. Oliver Simonsen (Chattanooga) 68-64=132, -12
T25. Drew Owens 71-78=149, +5
T30. Scotty Hudson 74-76=150, +6
T36. Mikus Ming 77-74=151, +7
T42. John Tyminski 79-73=152, +8
T56. Tyler Woods 76-81=157, +13
|Scotty Hudson||--||--||--||22 (10-12)||5 (3-2)||0 (0-0)|
|John Tyminski||23 (12-11)||19 (9-10)||62 (32-30)||16 (9-7)||5 (2-3)||1 (0-1)|
|Tyler Woods||17 (--)||19 (--)||61 (--)||17 (7-10)||4 (4-0)||0 (0-0)|
|Drew Owens||--||--||--||22 (13-9)||5 (3-2)||0 (0-0)|
|Mikus Ming||--||--||--||24 (11-13)||3 (2-1)||0 (0-0)|
JUNIOR JOHN TYMINSKI
(On Monday's Play)
“I hit 23/38 fairways for the day. I knew I had to hit it well off of the tee to play well on this golf course. Unfortunately I was not finding enough greens. I tried to play smart but I kept missing it in the wrong spots. I lipped out a lot of makeable putts today so even though they didn’t fall I’m still confident for tomorrow’s round.”