Event 1: 14th Murray State Invitational
Hosted by: Murray State
Location: Murray, Ky.
Course: Miller Memorial Golf Club
Details: Par-71, Yardage – 6,601
Weather at Start of Round 3: Mostly Sunny, 67
Scoring: Stats Following Each Day at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 3: 5th of 12 (+12)
Top 5 Teams:
MURRAY, Ky. --- Scotty Hudson continued his solid play and shot a 1-under 70 on the final day of the Murray State Invitational. Hudson’s performance earned the senior a spot on the all-tournament team.
The Tigers used a solid performance from all members to help the team jump two spots and place fifth. As a squad, TSU tallied a 2-under, 282, to finish with a 12-over, 864.
John Tyminski led the day for the Big Blue with a 3-under, 68. Tyler Woods and Rosario Falzone followed with a 1-over, 72, while Sam Gatlin finished a stroke back with a 73.
Drew Owens, playing as an individual, carded a 72 to earn a top-10 finish.
John Tyminski (Started on Hole 10)
- Sank five birdies during final round.
- Made four birdies total through first 36 holes.
- Posted third best results on par-4’s at 2-under.
- Played the par-3’s at 1-over.
- Made 37 pars through 54 holes.
Scotty Hudson (Hole 9)
- Finished tournament tied for first in par-3 play at 2-under.
- Put up the third best score in par-5 play at 4-under.
- Made 11 birdies for the event, which was the fifth most of all players.
- Set new career best result for 54-hole tournament.
- Previous best came a year ago at the Murray State Invitational.
- Fifth place finish is the best of his career.
- Finished eighth on two seperate occassions, last coming at the 2018 Big Blue Intercollegiate.
Tyler Woods (Hole 10)
- Birdied first hole of the day after making a 15-footer.
- Set up the birdie putt by hitting a 7-iron from 165 yards.
- Made second birdie on No. 12, hitting a wedge from 130 yards to two feet.
- Recorded a tap in birdie on the par-3, 16th, after hitting a 9-iron from 160 yards to a foot.
- Hit 4-wood on No. 17 to 30 feet, two putted for birdie.
- Sank a 12 foot putt on No. 6 after hitting an 8-iron from 150 yards to 12 feet.
- His 10 birdies for the tournament was the sixth highest amount.
Sam Gatlin (Hole 11)
- Birdied the par 4, 15th hole.
- Hit pitching wedge from 130 yards out to 12 feet.
Rosario Falzone (Hole 12)
- Carded three birdies on the day.
- Hit a 5-iron from 190 yards to three feet, setting up first birdie of the day.
- On the par-4, 11th, sank a four foot birdie after hitting a wedge from 78 yards.
- On No. 1, just missed a birdie as chip on third shot stopped an inch from the hole.
- Tapped in for par with wedge.
(I) Drew Owens (Hole 16)
- One birdie on the day.
- Hit a 4-iron from 190 yards on the par-4, 13th, to 15 feet.
- Sank downhill putt for birdie.
- Played par-3’s at Even for the week, third best scoring.
- Finished 1-over on par-4’s.
- Shot 2-under on par-5’s.
- Carded the fifth most pars during the tournament with 39.
Up Next: The Tigers will compete in the Memphis Intercollegiate on Monday, Sept. 18-Tuesday, Sept. 19.
Leaderboard (72 Golfers)
1. Zach Zediker (Delta State) 69-70-65=204, -9
T5. Scotty Hudson 69-71-70=210, -3
T10. Drew Owens (I) 73-67-72=212, -1
T17. John Tyminski 73-73-68=214, +1
T28. Tyler Woods 74-75-72=221, +8
T41. Sam Gatlin 76-75-73=224, +11
T41. Rosario Falzone 81-71-72=224, +11
|Drew Owens (I)||--||--||--||--||--|
SENIOR SCOTTY HUDSON
(On Tuesday's play)
“I kept putting myself into trouble today but always found a way out. Hitting only one fairway made it tough, but luckily I hit some good shots and was able to fight for a few birdies. We have a ton of potential this year, Big Blue golf is back.”
JUNIOR JOHN TYMINSKI
(On Tuesday's play)
“I’m happy with my score. I know I can still improve but it’s good to see a round in the red numbers. I made about 150-feet of putts today.”