Event 8: Big Blue Intercollegiate
Hosted by: Tennessee State
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Course: Heremitage Golf Course - President's Reserve
Details: Par-71, Yardage – 7,044
Weather at Start of Round: Sunny, 54
Place After Final Round: 2nd of 13 (+15)
Top 5 Teams:
NASHVILLE --- John Tyminski fired a 1-over, 72, on the final day of the Big Blue Intercollegiate and did what he needed to do to catch the round two leaders. Tyminski unfortunately was passed by Murray State’s Austin Knight, who fired a final round 69, and had to settle for second place, one stroke behind Knight.
“It was really good to see my ball striking work out,” Tyminski said. “I’ve been working very hard lately on that part of my game. Although I didn’t make as many putts as I needed to too get the win, I know that all I can do is move on and do better next week.”
As a team, the Tigers finished with a 5-over, 289, for the third consecutive round. TSU remained in second place as they finished at 15-over, 11 strokes behind tournament champion, UT Martin. The Tiger’s consistency helped them finish a head of Wright State by two strokes and five ahead of Ohio Valley Conference opponent, Murray State.
Jermey Fultz led the charge for the Tigers on the final day by firing a 3-under, 68. Fultz hit 10-of-14 fairways and found 14 greens, while needing just 28 putts on his way to five birdies. On No, 6, the senior hit a wedge to 10 feet of the hole for his first birdie of the day. Fultz made another 10 foot putt to cut a stroke after knocking it in the green with a 9-iron on No. 12.
Scotty Hudson matched Tyminski on the day with a 1-over 62 and tied Fultz for eighth for the tournament at 4-over. Drew Owens and Kody Rendleman both shot a 6-over, 77, over the final 18. Owens placed 17th, while Rendleman finished 56th in the field of 81 golfers.
Jay Grove continued his solid play with a 3-over, 74, to finish in 12th at 5-over. Sam Gatlin placed 30th at 12-over, three strokes ahead of Rosario Falzone who finished in 39th. Grove, Gatlin and Falzone all played as individuals.
Inside the Numbers
- Drew Owens second round mark of 4-under, 67, matched the low round of the tournament
- Scotty Hudson (69), Drew Owens (67) and Jay Grove (69) all carded a career best round
- John Tyminski and Grove registered career bests for a 54-hole tournament
- Grove topped his previous best by 13 strokes
- Owens set a new season best for a 54-hole event
- Scotty Hudson tied for the top performance on Par-3’s at 1-under
- Jermey Fultz was third at Even
- John Tyminski and Drew Owens followed in ninth at 1-over
- Jay Grove played the Par-4’s at Even, fifth best in the tournament field
- Tyminski was eighth at 1-over
- Owens finished at 3-under on Par-5 play, which tied him for the top spot
- Rosario was one stroke back at 2-under, placing him tied for third with Tyminski and four others
- Hudson was tied for ninth at 1-under
- Hudson recorded the third highest amount of birdies through the three rounds with 10
- Owens posted the tenth highest amount with seven
- Grove and Tyminski finished with six
- Tyminski secured the highest amount of pars with 42
- Fultz tied for second with 41
- Grove ended the tournament with 37
Leaderboard (81 Golfers)
1. Austin Knight (Murray State) 71-72-69=212, -1
T2. John Tyminski 70-71-72=213, E
T8. Jermey Fultz 74-75-68=217, +4
T8. Scotty Hudson 69-76-72=217, +4
T12. Jay Grove (I) 75-69-74=218, +5
T17. Drew Owens 76-67-77=220, +7
T30. Sam Gatlin (I) 75-76-74=225, +12
T39. Rosario Falzone (I) 75-77-76=228, +15
T56. Kody Rendleman 84-76-77=237, +24