NASHVILLE --- Tennessee State Director of Track and Field Chandra Cheeseborough-Guice announced the 2017 cross country schedule on Wednesday.
This year’s slate includes four meets leading up to the Ohio Valley Conference Championship scheduled for Oct. 28 in Charleston, Ill.
“We’re excited about this cross country season,” Cheeseborough-Guice said. “It’s always good for us to compete in local events. Our entire track and field program is heading in a good direction, and the cross country season will lay the foundation for the indoor and outdoor track and field seasons.”
- TSU opens the season at the Golden Eagle Invitational on Sept. 2 in Cookeville, Tenn.
- The rest of the regular season schedule includes return trips to the Asics Embry-Riddle Classic (9/16) in Daytona, Beach, Fla., the Austin Peay Cross Country Festival (9/23) in Clarksville, Tenn. and the Louisville Sports Commission Cross Country Classic (9/30) in Louisville, Ky.
- The OVC Cross Country Championship is set for Oct. 28 in Charleston, Ill. at Eastern Illinois.
- The Tigerbelles are led by a pair of redshirt seniors in Kayla Pryor (Ellenwood, Ga.) and Christian Pryor (Ellenwood, Ga.). Both finished in the top three on the team in all five events last season.
- For the men, six returners are back including sophomore Zebedee Lunsford (Anniston, Ala.), who took second on the team in four of the team’s five meets in 2016 as a freshman.
2017 TENNESSEE STATE CROSS COUNTRY SCHEDULE
9/2 – Golden Eagle Invitational – Cookeville, Tenn. (M: 6K; W: 5K)
9/16 – Asics Embry-Riddle Classic – Daytona Beach, Fla. (M: 8K; W: 5K)
9/23 – Austin Peay Cross Country Festival – Clarksville, Tenn. (M: 4 Mile; W: 5K)
9/30 – Louisville Sports Commission Cross Country Classic – Louisville, Ky. (M: 8K; W: 5K)
10/28 – Ohio Valley Conference Championship – Charleston, Ill. (M: 8K; W: 5K)