|January 04, 2020||1st||2nd||Final|
SIU Edwardsville Men
|Stats at a Glance||SIUE||TSUM|
|FG Percentage||.447 (21-47)||.583 (28-48)|
|3P FG Percentage||.368 (7-19)||.444 (8-18)|
|FT Percentage||.893 (25-28)||.714 (15-21)|
JOHNSON - 15
Jackson - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 79, SIU-Edwardsville 74
Records: TSU (10-5, 2-0), SIUE (4-11, 1-1)
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Venue: Gentry Center
NASHVILLE --- Two trips to the charity stripe lifted the Tennessee State men's basketball team to its second Ohio Valley Conference win, 79-74 over SIU-Edwardsville Saturday afternoon in the Gentry Center.
With 2:29 left in the game and the Tigers down one after leading for 24:32 of the afternoon, freshman point guard Mark Freeman, who had served as the floor general dishing six assists to his team, took control of the ball and drove the lane for a three-point play to take the lead, 70-72. Too close for comfort, Freeman registered his final assist, passing the ball to Jy'lan Washington at the top of the key for a Tennessee State three. SIUE added just four more points, two free-throws and a jumper, falling short of its second OVC victory, 79-74.
Big Blue now leads the conference with a 10-5 overall, 2-0 OVC record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Shakem Johnson/Michael Littlejohn - 15
- Rebounds: Shakem Johnson - 6
- Assists: Mark Freeman - 7
- Steals: Michael Littlejohn - 2
- TSU put up 19 points off of SIUE’s 14 turnovers.
- The Tigers put work in the paint, adding 32 to the scoreboard.
- Mark Freeman marked a career-high seven assists, tying for the season-high assists set by Michael Littlejohn vs. Alabama A&M.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tennessee State took possession from the tip. Six seconds later, freshman guard Mark Freeman dished it to Wesley Harris for the first slam of the half.
- SIUE’s point guard Tyresse Williford forced a steal on a bad pass allowing Cam Williams to lay one in on the fast break, TSU down 10-7.
- Harris and Michael Littlejohn dropped two three’s a piece in the first 11 minutes of play, regaining the Tiger lead 20-15.
- Despite, consistent efficient shooting from the Tigers 6-of-8, SIUE held the lead 26-25.
- The game was tied at media 30-30, marking one-of-four tied scores before the half.
- Mark Freeman inbounded off the back of a Cougar to lay it in as the first-half clock expired. TSU and SIUE were tied, 39-39.
- Littlejohn steal, lob to Harris, deflected by SIUE, Johnson took control and finished with a layup.
- The Cougars returned from the half and went 5:51 without scoring. TSU led 47-39.
- SIUE turned it on and went 4-of 5 to bring the score within one.
- Emmanuel Egbuta subs in and in one and a half minutes of play puts up seven points.
- Carlos Marshall passed the ball upcourt to Littlejohn who was waiting at the wing to sink his fourth three-point shot of the afternoon.
- Down one, Freeman drives the lane for a three-point play.
- Jy’lan Washington increases TSU’s lead 75-70 on the following play with a stop and stare three. 52 seconds remained in the game.
- Freeman hit two free throws with under a minute left. TSU leads 77-74.
- TSU now leads the conference 10-5 overall, 2-0 in the OVC.
- Big Blue improves to 9-4 in the all-time series against the Cougars.
- Brian "Penny" Collins is now 1-1 against SIUE.
- This marks the first double-digit win season for Coach Collins.
The Tigers hit the road next week to take on UT Martin and SEMO, Thursday, Jan. 9 and 11, respectively.