|December 21, 2019||1st||2nd||Final|
|Blue Mountain College||30||41||71|
|Stats at a Glance||BLUEM||TSUM|
|FG Percentage||.482 (27-56)||.589 (33-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.346 (9-26)||.304 (7-23)|
|FT Percentage||.667 (8-12)||.650 (13-20)|
SIMPSON - 2
DURASAS - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State 86, Blue Mountain 71
Records: TSU 8-5, 0-0 OVC, BMC 8-3, 1-1 Southern States (NAIA)
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Venue: Gentry Center
NASHVILLE --- Shakem Johnson led the Tigers to its fifth non-conference victory in the Gentry Center this season, scoring a career-high 27 points versus Blue Mountain College Saturday afternoon. Tennessee State men’s basketball improved to 8-5 on the season with the 86-71 win.
The night wasn’t without its stressful moments as the Tigers held the lead for 35:14 of the game, but the Topper’s efficient 48.2 percent shooting from the field, tied the game three times, and changed the lead six.
Shakem Johnson and Michael Littlejohn led TSU offensively throughout the first half, knocking down two free-throws a piece, missing just two shots over 20 minutes of play. Emmanuel Egbuta and Wesley Harris joined Johnson and Littlejohn in the second half combining for 43 points on 68 percent shooting.
TSU closed the 2019 year on a high-note and enters Ohio Valley Conference play Jan. 2 at home.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Shakem Johnson - 27
- Rebounds: Wesley Harris - 10
- Assists: Carlos Marshall, Jr. - 4
- Steals: Carlos Marshall, Jr. - 2
- Blocks: Shakem Johnson – 2
- Four Tigers scored in double-digits: Shakem Johnson 27, Michael Littlejohn 19, Wesley Harris 15, Emmanuel Egbuta 13.
- Wesley Harris marked a season-high 10 rebounds, leading the Tigers in rebounds on the afternoon. This marks his first double-double of the season.
- Big Blue out-boarded the Toppers 37-20.
- Blue Mountain’s bench produced for the Toppers, adding 29 points to the board.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Shakem Johnson put up the first points of the game with a layup in the first TSU possession of the afternoon.
- Big Blue held the Toppers to three points for the first four minutes, outscoring Blue Mountain 11-2.
- Nathan Caldwell and Da’Juonta Ross combined for 15 points, tying the score at 19, giving the Tigers a run for the win.
- Not until the TSU began to rebound on both sides of the court consistently, did they take a formidable lead moving into halftime.
- TSU led by 11 with 1:44 on the clock, but a jumper by Caldwell resulted in a nine-point lead at the half, 39-30.
- Littlejohn threw the lob to Johnson down low for the first play back from the break.
- Jonah Simpson tied it for the first time in the game at 43 with a three-point shot early in the second half, kicking off a back-and-forth battle for the lead.
- A classic Emmanuel Egbuta hard-hitting dunk put an end to the back and forth and put a fire in the hearts of the Tigers.
- TSU outscored the Toppers 35-21 in the second half of the second period, led by Harris, Johnson and Egbuta, cruising the Tigers to its final win of the 2019 year, 86-71.
- Tennessee State now leads the all-time series against Blue Mountain, 1-0.
- The Tigers are undefeated in the Gentry Center this season, 5-0.
- Shakem Johnson scored a season-high 27 points.
- Wesley Harris registered the fourth Tennessee State double-double of the season, scoring 15 points and grabbing 10 rebounds.
This marks the end of the non-conference season for TSU men’s basketball. The Tigers return to the Gentry Center Jan. 2, 2020, for a 7:30 p.m. tip versus Eastern Illinois.