|January 17, 2019||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUMBB||TTU|
|FG Percentage||.483 (28-58)||.417 (20-48)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (9-24)||.500 (9-18)|
|FT Percentage||.609 (14-23)||.650 (13-20)|
TEAM - 8
ALEXANDER - 5
CROSLAND - 5
CHANEY - 3
DAVIS - 3
Final Score: TSU 79, TTU 62
Records: TSU (5-12, 2-3), TTU (6-12, 2-3)
Venue: Eblen Center
Location: Cookeville, Tenn.
COOKEVILLE, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State men’s basketball team garnered its first Ohio Valley Conference road win at Tennessee Tech, 79-62, Thursday night in the Eblen Center.
Stokley Chaffee, Jr. led the team in scoring (13), rebounds (8) and blocks (1), with five of his fellow Tigers assisting with double-digit stat lines.
A phenomenal second half had the Eblen Center quiet as TSU increased its nine-point halftime lead to 27 with a 13-0 run. Chaffee’s work in the paint and the guards’ work beyond the arc, combining for 45.5 percent from the distance, helped the Tigers close the game.
“We’re a deadly team when we play hard and move the ball,” said Chaffee, Jr.
Tennessee State improves to 5-12 overall, 2-3 in conference play heading into Saturday’s game versus Belmont.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders:
- Points: Chaffee, Jr. – 13
- Rebounds: Chaffee, Jr. – 8
- Assists: Littlejohn – 6
- Steals: Chaney, Morris, Davis – 3
- Blocks: Chaffee, Jr. – 1
- Six Tigers scored double-digits: Chaffee, Jr. 13, McKnight 12, Egbuta 11, Morris 11, Chaney 10, Fitzpatrick-Dorsey 10.
- Stokley Chaffee, Jr. led the team in scoring for the first time in his career, and in rebounding for the tenth time this season.
- The forward’s 13 points ties for his career high, set versus NC A&T earlier this season.
- Littlejohn’s six assists to lead the team, marked a career-high.
- TSU outworked Tennessee Tech in the paint 14-4 in the first half.
- Big Blue committed only four turnovers in the first half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Golden Eagles up 7-0. Cummings 0-2 from three-point distance. Dave Morris first bucket for TSU.
- Emmanuel Egbuta slams one down and forces a turnover on TTU’s next possession.
- 7-0 run for Tigers gives them the first lead of the night.
- Catch and shoot off the inbound, Egbuta for two at the halftime buzzer. Tigers up 35-26.
- Stokely Chaffee, Jr. back from the break with two back-to-back, the second a three-point play.
- Shooting accuracy increased. In the first 4 minutes of the half, TSU is 5-of-6 from the field, 2-of-2 from three-point distance and 2-of-2 from the stripe.
- EGBUTA DUNK! That’s all. #SCTop10
- Every eligible player had minutes in the first half.
- TSU improved to 33-35 in the all-time series against the Golden Eagles, 15-18 in Cookeville.
- Team technical charged to Tennessee Tech.
The Tigers take a trip to crosstown rival, and head coach Brian “Penny” Collins’ alma mater, Belmont, Saturday, Jan. 19 with tipoff set for 5 p.m. on ESPN+.