NASHVILLE, Tenn. – A week into training camp, here is an update on the Tennessee State University men’s basketball team.
· Head coach Dana Ford is pushing decisiveness on offense. In their five-on-five drills, the player with the ball has one second to decide whether they will pass, shoot, or drive. With a brand new team of talented, but inexperienced, players, decision-making is a key attribute that needs refining.
· The team continues to work on their defensive posture on and off the ball. Coach Ford is pushing closeout tactics on the ball and man-to-man discipline off the ball.
· One drill that the Tigers worked on in today’s practice involved at least two players running and diving for a loose ball and then setting up the offense. Junior Xavier Richards showed great tenacity and ability to beat others to the ball on a consistent basis.
· The two players playing point today were senior Jay Harris and freshman Charles Tucker. They were challenged to effectively communicate the play call while dealing with constant pressure from the defense.
· Freshman Christian Mekowulu showed good post-presence today. He made good decisions and displayed his ability to create shot opportunities when getting the ball in the paint.
The beginning of the season is a month away as TSU hosts Reinhardt on Friday, Nov. 14 at 7:00 p.m.