MEN'S BASKETBALL TRIP TO PHILLIPINES CANCELLED
Thursday, July 14, 2005
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University men's basketball team's scheduled trip to the Phillipines has been cancelled, athletics director Teresa Phillips has announced. The team was originally scheduled to make the trip for a series of games in late May, before it was postponed until July 7. Just days prior to the second scheduled departure date, a July 16 date was scheduled by Phillipines' officials. "We believe that in the best interest of our men's basketball program, that we not make the trip," said Phillips. "The changes for the departure dates have had an effect on our schedules for classes and also our July recruiting period. In addition, the political unrest in the Philippines has become a concern." The Tigers also were to be without the services of two players, forward Kareem Grant who was not making the trip and forward Courtney Bohannon, who had emergency surgery last week. The Tigers were to have played at least three games and conducted clinics on the trip. Phillips said that she has contacted the Ohio Valley Conference and will be contacting the NCAA concerning the cancellation of the trip.