Venue: William J. Hale Stadium
Weather: Sunny, 90; Real Feal - 99
Total Plays: 91
NASHVILLE --- Tennessee State held its second scrimmage on Saturday morning. The Tigers opened with a 7-on-7 session before holding the 91 play scrimmage. The Tigers added a situational Drill, as well as a 4-Minute Drill. Antonio Zita and Kaleb Mosley once again went head-to-head during a field goal session.
The defense impressed on the day with 10 tackles for loss, including four sacks, to go along with six pass break-ups and an interception. The unit forced six stopages in the first seven drives. The offensive squad was able to produce a 47 yard field goal off the foot of Antonio Zita to end the fifth series.
The offense finally broke through during the eighth and final drive. Cameron Rosendahl engineered a 12 play, 65 yard drive which ended with a one yard score by Te'kendrick Roberson.
- Rushing: 40 carries for 174 yards
- Passing: 14-of-29 for 193 yards
- Touchdowns: Two
- Quarterback Hurries/Sacks: 4/4
- Sacks: Jeremiah Caine, Clint Dowty, Adrian Sims, Emmanuel Olenga
- QBHs: Jeremiah Caine (2), Clint Dowty III, Adrian Sims
- Pass Break-Ups: 6
- PBUs: Clint Dowty III (2), Josh Green, Dewayne Johnson, James Reese Jr., Rhashuan Epting
- Tackles For Loss: 10
- TFLs: Jeremiah Caine (2.5), Raymond Horton (2), Adrian Sims (1.5), Dante' Ferguson Jr., Jahsun Bryant, Emmanuel Olenga, Dewayne Johnson (0.5) Daniel Bonner (0.5)
- Cameron Rosendahl went 4-for-4 during both of his four play sessions.
- Micheal Hughes finished 3-of-4.
- Octavious Battle was 1-for-3 with a scramble induced run.
- The offense opened fast gaining 25 yards over the first three plays.
- A four yard rush by Te'kendrick Roberson and a 10 yard run by Chris Rowland sandwiched an 11 yard pass from Cameron Rosendahl to Rowland.
- The drive ended as a tipped pass was picked off by Josh Green.
- The second series looked promising with six plays for 31 yards, moving the ball across midfield.
- Penalties led to the demise of the series.
- With Micheal Hughes at the helm, the offense used a pair of 12 yard gains by Sabree Curtis to keep the drive alive.
- The first came on a 2nd & 12 run, while the second was a pass from Hughes on a 3rd & 11.
- With the offense across midfield, the defense used big plays by Clint Dowty and Jeremiah Caine.
- Dowty broke up a pass on first down, Caine followed with a tackle for loss and a sack on back-to-back plays.
- The first score of the day came two drives later on a 47 yard field goal by Antonio Zita.
- After the scoring drive, the defense forced a three-and-out and used a relentless pass rush to thwart the next series with three hurries and a sack.
- The final drive, led by Rosendahl, began with a 20 yard run by Chris Rowland and a five yard hookup between the two.
- Rosendahl kept the series alive with a 24 yard completition to Newbold on a 3rd & 13, moving down to the 11.
- The duo teamed up on the next play for seven yards.
- Three plays later, Roberson crossed the goal line from one yard out.
RED ZONE DRILL (All drives started at the defensive 25 yard line)
- Rosendahl ran the first and third drives, while Hughes led the second attempt.
- All three drives led to field goal attempts.
- The first series started with a pair of Seth Rowland runs, resulting in 10 yards.
- The defense would stop the drive with a pair of big plays.
- Raymond Horton hit Rowland behind the line of scrimmage for a one yard loss before Rhashuan Epting knocked down a Rosendahl pass.
- Kaleb Mosley made good on a 36 yard field goal attempt.
- The offense picked up a quick first down during the Hughes led drive as Jordan Bell opened with a five yard run, followed by a completion to Malik Abdul-Haqq for eight yards.
- A pair of Bell runs would get the offense inside the 10, but Clint Dowty was credited with a sack on Hughes to force an Antonio Zita 26 yard field goal.
- The final series started with Rosendahl finding Steven Newbold for five yards, but stalled as they were held to one yard over the next two plays.
- The defensive stand was rewarded as Zita missed on a 36 yard field goal attempt.
THIRD DOWN DRILL
- Rosendahl converted on two of his five attempts; Hughes converted on the final of his five opportunities
- In Rodendahl's first chance at 3rd & 10, the senior connected on a 40 yard pass play to Chris Rowland.
- Jahsun Bryant recorded atackle for loss on a pass play ahead of an Emmanuel Olenga sack on back-to-back plays.
- Seth Rowland broke through for a 30 yard scamper on a 3rd & 5.
- The defense forced the issue against Hugheswith two break-ups, a hurry and a tackle for loss.
- Hughes called his own number for a 10 yard run on a 3rd & 2 on the final play of the drill.
4-MINUTE DRILL (Defense trails, forced to get ball back for offense)
- Offense started with a 16 yard completition to Steven Newbold for 16 yards.
- The defense held and gave the offense the ball back at the 15 yard line with 3:06 on the clock.
- Rosendahl hit Chris Rowland across the middle, allowing the receiver to break free to the opponents 30, for a gain of 50 yards.
- After a five yard copletition to Newbold, Seth Rowland exploaded through the line for 22 yards, down to the three.
- Two plays later Seth Rowland crossed the goal line with :47 seconds remaining on the clock.
FIELD GOAL DRILL
- Antonio Zita and Kaleb Mosley went head-to-head with Mosley getting nine attempts, to Zita's eight.
- Zita finished 4-of-8, converting on his attempt from 51 yards.
- Mosley was 3-of-9, with his long coming at 40 yards.
- Senior Cameron Rosendahl completed 11-of-19 passes for 166 yards and one interception
- Senior Micheal Hughes finished 3-of-10 for 27 yards
- Seth Rowland led all rushers with 66 yards on nine carries and one touchdown
- Te'kendrick Roberson carried the ball seven times for 22 yards and a touchdown
- Chris Rowland caught six passes for 120 yards
- Steven Newbold pulled down five passes totaling 60 yards
- Jeremiah Caine had a scrimmage high six tackles, including a sack, to go along with two quarterback hurries
- Dante' Ferguson Jr., James Reese IV and Dewayne Johnson made five stops
- Rhashuan Epting, Larry Wilhoite Jr. Clint Dowty III, Adrian Sims and Kenyon Garlington all notched four tackles
- Josh Green picked off a pass
- Mock Game is set for the evening of Thursday, Aug. 22
- The Senior Kickoff Luncheon is set for Friday, Aug. 23
- Fan day will be held on Saturday, Aug. 24 at 11:00 a.m.
- Tennessee State will face Mississippi Valley State in the John Merritt Classic on Sat., August 31