NASHVILLE --- Tennessee State head football coach Rod Reed has announced the arrival of four transfers to campus. Christion Abercrombie, Mekhi Brown, Demry Croft and John Robinson IV are officially enrolled and are attending classes at TSU.
The foursome will be eligible to practice during the upcoming spring.
Abercrombie comes to the Tigers after spending two seasons at the University of Illinois, while Brown was a member of the Alabama Crimson Tide for the past three seasons. Brown was a member of two national championship squads (2015 and 2017).
Croft transfers in from the University of Minnesota where he served as the starting quarterback for the final six games of the 2017 season.
Robinson comes to TSU after three seasons at the University of Connecticut.
The new Tigers will join fellow transfers Henry Covington (Georgia Military College), Te’Kendrick Roberson (Ellsworth CC) and Kalen Whitlow (Mississippi Gulf Coast CC), who signed with TSU during the early signing period in December.
Linebacker - University of Illinois
6-1, 230, R-Fr.
Atlanta, Ga. (Westlake HS)
- Made 11 tackles, six solo, while playing in 11 games
- Made his Illinois debut in the opener against Ball State
- Redshirted the 2016 season
- Three-star recruit by ESPN.com and Scout
- Ranked the No. 89 outside linebacker in the nation by ESPN.com
- Ranked the No. 71 inside linebacker in the nation by Scout
- Totaled 106 tackles (55 solo), 4.0 sacks and four interceptions as a senior
- Led Westlake to a 10-3 record in 2015
- Georgia Sports Writers Association AAAAAA All-State first team as a senior
- All-Metro and Class AAAAAA All-State Honorable Mention by the Atlanta Journal Constitution as a senior
- Georgia Region 3-AAAAAA Defensive Player of the Year
- Led Westlake to 2014 and 2015 Region 3-AAAAAA championships
- Also played basketball as a freshman
Linebacker - University of Alabama
6-5, 246, R-So.
Columbus, Ga. (Carver HS)
- Played in 12 games during the 2017 season
- Recorded seven tackles, three solo
- Played on special teams in 2016
- First action came against Mississippi State, also earned playing time against Chattanooga and Florida
- Redshirted in 2015
- A unanimous four-star prospect
- Selected to participate in the 2015 U.S. Army All-American Bowl
- Ranked No. 88 in the Top247, the No. 5 weakside defensive end and No. 10 player in Georgia by 247Sports.com
- Ranked No. 114 in the 247 Composite and the No. 6 weakside end
- Ranked No. 88 in the ESPN300, the site’s No. 10 outside linebacker and No. 12 player in Georgia
- Was No. 58 on the Prepstar Top 100 Dream Team
- Ranked 210th in the Rivals250 and the No. 9 weakside defensive end
- Collected 56 tackles with 14 tackles for loss and 11 sacks as a junior in 2013; along with four forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries
- Was a three-time All-State selection for head coach Joseph Kegler at CHS in Columbus, Ga.
- Garnered first-team honors in 2013 and 2014 with honorable mention accolades in 2012
- Was recruited by Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Stanford, Auburn and Louisville
Quarterback - University of Minnesota
6-5, 205, R-So.
Rockford, Ill. (Boylan HS)
- Played in nine games, starting the final six of the 2017 season
- Completed 41.5 percent of his passes for 674 yards and four touchdowns
- Rushed 79 times for 311 yards and four touchdowns
- Earned first career rushing touchdown with a 64-yard scamper at Oregon State
- Threw for three touchdowns versus Michigan State
- Redshirted in 2016
- Played in three games as a true freshman in 2015
- Completed 7-of-17 passes for 34 yards, while rushing nine times for 38 yards
- Passed for 2,011 yards and 21 touchdowns as a senior
- Rushed for 845 yards and 10 scores during his final prep season
- Named All-State Honorable Mention All-State
- Competed in the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl at the Citrus Bowl in Orlando, completing 12-of-15 passes for 213 yards and two touchdowns
- Played in 12 games as a junior, passing for 1,879 yards and 16 touchdowns, while rushing for 685 yards and 12 scores
- Prepped for head coach John Cacciatore
- Ranked as a three-star prospect by ESPN, Rivals, 247Sports and Scout
- 247Sports tagged him as the No. 7 prospect in Illinois, while Rivals had him at No. 18 and ESPN listed him at No. 41
- 247Sports ranked him as the No. 18 dual-threat quarterback in his class, while Rivals slotted him at No. 29 in their quarterback rankings and ESPN had him at No. 48
- Scout listed him as a the No. 1 quarterback in Illinois, the No. 4 quarterback in the Midwest and the No. 26 quarterback in the nation
- Also lettered in basketball, track and bowling
John Robinson IV
Defensive Back - University of Connecticut
6-2, 195, R-So.
Englewood, N.J. (Dwight Morrow HS)
- Played in five games, recording two tackles in 2017
- As a redshirt-freshman, registered seven tackles while playing in all 12 games
- Career-high two tackles at Boston College (Nov. 19)
- Redshirted in 2015
Dwight Morrow HS:
- Cornerback, safety and wide receiver at DMHS
- Ranked a top-50 prospect in New Jersey by 247Sports and ESPN
- Participated in the 2014 National Underclassmen Combine Five-Star East Showcase
- As a receiver, posted 24 catches for 372 yards and five touchdowns as a senior
- Totaled 22 tackles on the year
- Ranked No. 34 in New Jersey by Schulman's National Underclassmen Combine
Christion Abercrombie: LB - Illinois
Mekhi Brown: LB - Alabama
Henry Covington: OL - Georgia Military College
Demry Croft: QB - Minnesota
Te’Kendrick Roberson: RB - Ellsworth CC
John Robinson IV: DB - UConn
Kalen Whitlow: QB - Mississippi Gulf Coast CC