NASHVILLE – Tennessee State head coach Rod Reed announces the signing of players to join the Tigers for the 2018 fall season.
Follow along throughout the day for updates of the new members for the Big Blue.
This is the first year players are able to sign a National Letter of Intent in December. Teams will also be able to sign players during the regular February signing period. The Tigers annual Signing Day Celebration introducing all signees, as well as midyear-transfers, will take place on Feb. 7.
Tyrese (Joe) Thornton
Offensive Tackle | 6-6 | 315
LaGrange, Ga. (LaGrange HS)
- Selected to play in the Georgia vs. Florida All-Star Game
- 1st Team Region 5 AAAA All-Region Team in junior and senior seasons
- Two time Best Offensive Lineman honoree
- Earned Offensive MVP honors
"Tyrese is a big kid, he is athletic and the type of lineman we go after. He is a really physical kid with long arms and good feet. We feel he has a tremendous upside.”
Linebacker | 6-3 | 215
Nashville, Tenn. (Cane Ridge HS)
- A two-Star recruit by 247Sports.com and Rivals.com
- Tennessean 1st Team 6A All-State selection
- 1st Team All-Region, All-Metro in final season
- Tennessee Athletic Coaches Association West All-Star team
- Defensive MVP of Middle Tennessee All-Star game
- Led CRHS to its first appearance in the Tennessee 6A Championship game
- Collected a game high 15 tackles, eight solo, and recovered a fumble in the title game
- Registered a team high 11 tackles in the semifinal win over Whitehaven HS
- Totaled 108 tackles, 81 solo, and 16.0 for loss in final campaign
- Had 2.0 sacks, three quarterback hurries and a blocked kick
- Offers from Jackson State and Arkansas-Monticello
"Bryant is a local kid from Cane Ridge High School. He's a very physical, athletic linebacker. I think he'll do well at TSU in the linebacker spot. He's a fierce competitor who played in the state championship this year and was the Defensive MVP of the Middle Tennessee All Star game."
Running Back | 6-1 | 225
Euless, Texas (Pima CC)
- Carried the ball 42 times for 232 yards
- Scored two touchdowns on the ground
- Averaged 5.5 yards per carry
- Played 2016 season at Illinois State
- Led ISU with four rushing touchdowns
- Rushed for 494 yards on 96 carries
- Ranked as a two-Star recruit by Scout.com out of Colleyville Heritage HS
- Finished with 1,388 total yards with 18 touchdowns as a senior at CHHS
"DeMarco Corbin is a change-of-pace back. He's a big back with small back athletic ability. He's a down-hill runner and is a kid we look forward to carrying the ball 15-20 times a game. We're excited to add him to our backfield."
Cornerback | 6-0 | 180
Orlando, Fla. (Olympia HS)
- Tallied 114 tackles, 67 solo, 8.0 for loss over final two seasons at OHS
- Averaged 6.0 tackles per game
- As a junior, earned 1.0 sacks, recovered two fumbles and picked off four passes
- Returned three kickoffs for a 21.3 yard average and five punts for 20 yards
- Offer from Florida Atlantic
- Brother of current Tiger, James Green
"Josh Green was just named the MVP of the Central Florida All-Star game last week. He's the brother of James Green, a linebacker that we signed last year. He'll give us some depth and make a hard push for playing time as a true freshman. He's explosive and has great ball skills."
Running Back | 6-0 | 180
Winter Haven, Fla. (Ellsworth CC)
- A 2017 Iowa Community College Athletic Conference All-Conference honoree
- Had 163 carries for 816 yards and five touchdowns
- Averaged 5.0 yards/carry and 74.2 yards/game in second season at ECC
- Rushed for 597 yards, scoring three touchdowns as a freshman
- Offers from Western Kentucky and Florida A&M
- Interest from Florida Atlantic, Florida International and South Alabama
"He's an explosive back and a home-run hitter. He's a kid that we recruited out of high school, but it didn't work out. He ended up going to junior college and had a very productive junior college career rushing over 700 yards this last year. He's a home-run hitter, someone we need in our backfield. A really explosive kid."
Quarterback | 6-1 | 190
Dothan, Ala. (Mississippi Gulf Coast CC)
- Went 72-of-122 for 733 yards and six touchdowns in first season at MGCCC
- Spent the 2015 season as a redshirt at Western Carolina
- Passed for over 2,500 yards and 25 touchdowns as a senior at Northview High School
- Earned All-State Honorable Mention honors
- Listed as a three-star recruit by 247sports.com and a two-star recruit by Rivals.com
- Brother Jalen played quarterback at Kentucky before transferring and holding the same position at Eastern Illinois
"Whitlow is a kid who originally signed with Western Carolina out of high school. He's a quarterback that's very elusive in the pocket and can make all the throws. We expect him to come in and push hard for the spot at the QB position."
Kicker / Punter | 5-9 | 170
Fayetteville, Tenn. (Lincoln County HS)
- Scored 40 points as a senior
- Connected on 7-of-12 field goals and 19-of-20 PATs
- Booted a season long 49 yard field goal
- Registered 33 touchbacks while averaging 66.1 yards per kickoff
- Totaled 1,527 yards on 41 punts, averaging 37.2 yards per punt
- Had a season long of 58 and pinned 15 punts inside the 20
"A kid from Lincoln County, Fayetteville, Tennessee. He's a kicker who has an extremely strong leg. 85-90 percent of his kicks in high school were touchbacks, and he's a very accurate field goal kicker. With the departure of Lane Clark, we are going to need some guys to come in and step up for that position. He's also playing in the All-American game in New Orleans next week."