TSU Shut-Out, 37-0, At UT Martin
Sunday, November 14, 2010

Tigers Shut-Out At UT Martin


Martin, Tenn. – The Tennessee State Tigers (3-7, 0-6) were shut-out 37-0 by the Skyhawks of UT Martin (6-5, 5-3) on Saturday, November 13th on regional television.  The loss was TSU’s fifth straight loss, sixth Ohio Valley Conference loss and the worst defeat of the season. The shut-out was their second of the season, having lost 24-0 at Jacksonville State (10/16), marking the first time a TSU team has had two shut-outs in the same season since 1975.

On their first possession the  Tigers suffered an interception that led to a UT Martin touchdown three plays later. Later in the first quarter, the Tiger defense gave up a 55 yard run to their one-yard line and the Skyhawks scored a touchdown two plays later for a 14-0 as the first quarter ended.

In the second quarter, TSU gave up a 54 yard pass to the UTM 23 yard line to the TSU 23 yard line, but the defense stiffened to deny any points by the Skyhawks.

The first half ended with the score 14-0, but TSU was clearly out-played. The Skyhawks gained 273 yards on 36 plays, while the Tigers gained 33 yards on 22 plays.

The Tigers opened the second half with a six-play drive, but stalled on the UTM 31 yard line. A TSU 48 yard Field Goal attempt failed. On the next series, the TSU defense held the Skyhawks to a three-and-out, but on TSU’s next possession, quarterback Dominic Grooms was intercepted at the TSU 28 yard line and returned for a touchdown for a UTM 21-0 lead. TSU fumbled on their next possession at the UTM 10 yard line. The Skyhawks opened their drive with a 53 yard pass to the TSU 23 yard line and had to settle for a 34 yard Field Goal when the Tiger defense denied further progress. TSU gained 17 yards in six plays and punted to UTM. The Skyhawks ripped off runs of 15 and 41 yards before completing a 30 yard pass for a TD to move their advantage to 31-0 as the third quarter ended.

The fourth quarter saw more of the same as the Skyhawks moved the ball 80 yards in six plays to take a 37-0 lead after their PAT kick failed.

The top performances on defense for TSU were linebacker Rico Council who finished the game with seven tackles (6 solo) and defensive end Marcus Broxie who finished with five tackles (2 solo) and 1.5 Tackles for Loss. Defensive end Lawrence Peterson, recorded one sack (7 yards) and three tackles.

On offense, running back Terrence Wright had 43 yards on 13 carries with a long of 22 yards. Quarterback Dominic Grooms passed for 41 yards (7-25-1) with a long of 14 yards. Three receivers had 2 catches, Calvin McNairl (17 yards), Joseph Hills (13 yards) and Jeremy Pryor (11 yards). Julian Mallory had 72 yards on three kickoff returns and Rayshawn Weatherspoon had 32 yards on one kickoff return.


On the game, TSU finished with 123 yards in Total Offense (72 rush, 51 pass) and UTM finished with 517 yard in Total Offense (208 rush, 309 pass).

The Tigers will close their 2010 season next week when they travel to Murray State for a 1:00p game with the Racers.