Saturday, November 8, 2003
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. --- Tennessee State could not overcome crucial mistakes and Southeast Missouri scored 21 unanswered points in the final 7:41 of the contest to hand the Tigers a 52-35 defeat in Ohio Valley Conference play Saturday. TSU took a 35-31 lead after Bryson Rosser's 10-yard pass to Ronald Jackson at the 8:20 mark of the fourth quarter. However, Southeast's Brandon Amick scored two plays later on a 62-yard pass from Andrew Goodenough to make the score 38-31. Penalties were a big part of the game throughout, but none bigger came when TSU was whistled for being offsides on a fourth down punting situation after apparently stopping Southeast near the 3-minute mark at the Indians 33-yard line. The Indians were able to ride the momentum of the break for an insurance score as Jamel Oliver caught a 3-yard pass from Jack Tomco with 1:03 left. Southeast put the final touches on the win as Kellin White intercepted a Rosser pass and returned it 60 yards with just 10 seconds left. "We did not make the plays down the stretch and Southeast Missouri did," said TSU head coach James Reese. "We had some tough breaks, but it was matter that we did not come with the key plays in the fourth quarter." The two teams were penalized 14 times each with TSU having 116 and Southeast 124 yards. The Tigers also fumbled six times, losing one and had two passes intercepted. TSU's defense allowed a season-high 555 yards against Southeast, the team picked to win the league title this season. Southeast had three plays of more than 60 yards. Southeast marched 73 yards in seven plays to start the game and Bob Dorsainvil scored on a 6-yard run. The Tigers tied the game as Paul Thomas deflected an Andrew Goodenough pass that was intercepted by Brian Harris and returned two yards for the score. Defensive back Scott Cunningham returned a Goodenough pass 34 yards for a TD 14 seconds into the second period. After Dorsainvil second TD run of three yards, Charles Anthony concluded a 67-yard drive with an 11-yard run. The Indians bounced back to break through with their first big scoring play as Jamel Oliver reeled off a 54-yard run to mark the score 21-21 at the 4:41 which stood into halftime. TSU came out and scored on its first possession of the second half. Rosser fired an 18-yard pass to C.J. Johnson to conclude a 66-yard drive. Oliver tied the game as he broke loose on an 82-yard run up the middle to knot the score at 28-28 with 10 minutes left in the third period. The Tigers will return home to host Eastern Kentucky in the home finale next Saturday at 2:30 p.m.

Box Score